Very worried!!! Chicks breathing fast and making a clicking noise...

wvchix

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2012
WV
My3 Leghorn chicks are breathing fast and making a clicking sound. Could it be a respiratory infection? If so, what should I do? I also have 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 3 Red Sex Links and 3 Araucaunas in with her. One of the Leghorns is eating and drinking like normal, the other two are consuming less. Has anyone else ever experienced this with young chicks?

They have puffed up chest feathers and are sleeping while standing up????

Last edited:
So I have a chick that is about 2weeks old and just started this last weekend looks like she is gasping for air, I will see her randomly drink and isnt eating much... She sleeps with all the other chicks and this morning was the first time from saturday I saw her laying with the others. She is making me extremely nervous and I dont want her to die or spread whatever she has to the others.... Mainly the big thing is that she is gasping like a full body breath. HELP!

I'm having exactly the same problem with a little bobwhite quail. Help please? Should I try and get some antibiotics for the water?
I am not very experienced, but didn't want your post to go unanswered either.

In my case, I pulled the chick & put some electrolytes in its water. (They sell packets called "Sav-A-Chick" or you can make your own using a recipe from BYC.) I thought it would die, but it was normal within 8 hrs. Now I keep a packet on hand in my chicken 1st aid kit. I believe the chick (in my case) was just a little immature, so the lungs may not have been fully developed. The 1st 24 hrs of its life were rough, but min TLC & it was fine.

By separating the weaker ones, you'll give them a chance to recover without getting pecked on. If it's a disease or infection, you'll hopefully prevent the spread if caught in time. Definitely keep chicks far away from your current hens. Wash hands & even change clothes when caring for one then the other. People can spread illness w/o knowing it.

Hi, just thought I would let you know the chick hatched and is doing great :) after hours of watching it is make sure it was OK, I eventually worked out that the clicking sound was actually the internal and external membranes sticking together and pulling apart with each breath of the chick. I increased the humidity and it stopped :) I'm a first time hatcher and I was worried about EVERYTHING
Here is the same chick two days later

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom