Very Worried, Overdue Egg Need Expert Opinion

Being a silkie cross which are nearly always early hatch, and now overdue, without peeps or movement, i would say that it's probably a fully formed chick that suffocated in the shell instead of pipping the internal membrane.
3 options-
1 wait (not recommend)
2 toss it
3 open the middle of the clear end very carefully.

If you do this and the membrane around the chick looks dry then it is dead.
If it's not dry looking , then the chick should move a bit as you gently shake the egg. If not- it's dead.
If it does respond then keep it really moist, putting a single drop of water into the egg using a cotton tip every hour until it stars making noise.
From there you need to follow assisted hatching procedures as it very unlikely to come out on its own.
I agree....

I tried this. Very careful to leave inner membrane intact.

The chick itself doesn't move but the membrane did not appear dry.. Keeping it moist under heat lamp and wet cloth. What do you recommend?
Is there fluid floating around the top of the chick underneath the membrane??

Just to emphasize. Not a lot of fluid by any means, but I can tell it's there.

I think its a goner. I had this happen before and I just pitched the eggs...the chicks were dead inside....what about the other eggs??

... Eesh.
Other one has a week before it's due.
And one of them has already hatched happy and healthy.

... Eesh.
Other one has a week before it's due.
And one of them has already hatched happy and healthy.

I don't think that would happen a couple of days maybe are you sure about the set date as far the fluid if there is any at all more than enough to keep the chick moist and that would be what's on it's body then It's to much when the chicks takes it's first breath it aspirates and drowns that is if it was alive up till that point . I'm a little surprised the hen is still trying to hatch it .that's a good hen.

I don't think that would happen a couple of days maybe are you sure about the set date  as far the fluid if there is any at all more than enough to keep the chick moist and that would be what's on it's body then It's to much when the chicks takes it's first  breath it aspirates and drowns  that is if it was alive up till that point . I'm a little surprised the hen is still trying to hatch it .that's a good hen.

I actually am certain about the date.
The addition of the third egg due next week was way after the first two which had due dates a day apart.
The dates are as the should be, the one in the egg that's overdue is now coming on 48 hours overdue (from the 21 day mark).

Back
Top Bottom