Vet treatment for sour crop/crop stasis

SimplySplendidSilkies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Adairsville, GA
With the hope of helping others I thought I would post how my avian vet treated sour crop! Early diagnosis will definitely help you when dealing with this. I caught Edward's within hours and was able to start treatment very quicky. Edward is a 1.6 lb Showgirl which you will need for proper dosing.
The medicine for sour crop is:
Metoclopramide 5 mg/5ml syrup give 2.5 ml every 6 to 8 hrs I would message this into the crop very gently (never turning him upside down, just took my 3 fingers and gently messaged the med in)
Enrofloxacin Susp give 1 ml every 12 hours for 7-10 days this is the antibotic.
Electrolytes in the water (I uesd watered down gatorade)
Dr. Hoover also put him on a soft diet of Lefaber's mix (the crack in chicken world I guess) he went nuts and it gave him the extra boost of energy he needed. The Lefaber's mix has to be served warm every 2-3 hours mix 3 scoops with 10 ml water, it will look like a warm milk shake. (I added Probois to counter the antibiotics) I was fortunate enough to only have to force feed one time and am very thankful for that.
Dr. Hoover also told me to keep him inside under a heat lamp which is where he still is recovering.
I highly suggest adding all of these to your emergency kit. I know this is what saved my babies life.

When my Edward came down with this I didn't waste anytime in getting him treatment I have only ever lost one bird and it was to sour crop. I am thinkful to Dr. Hoover in Murfreesboro Tn and sugget him for all your veterinary needs if you are in this area. He treated my Chicken as a beloved pet. Which he is! I am very thankful to have him within an hours drive and will not hesitate to use him in the future.

I have just read so much contradicting information on the internet and didn't know how to treat him myself and Edward's life meant too much to me to risk it. I am very happy I sought a professional and so is my Edward.

I do hope this information helps save more lives.

Great info! Thank you for providing it! I have one question....is it Lefaber's Mix for parrots? I was trying to search for these items online and this was what I came up with.

Pam I am not sure my vet gave me a ziplock bag with instructions printed on it, and said to come back when I needed more. It would be nice if the pet stores had it though. I will look next time I go to Pet Smart. I will also ask Dr. Hoover if it can be bought outside the clinic. Sorry I wasn't more help. But I do think you are doing the right thing getting all of this now before you need it. Had I waited I am not sure Edward would still be alive. He is my Angel and I his!

Well, I thought it might be good to have on hand. That would be great if you can find out if the parrot stuff would work, since I did see that available on line.

It would be nice if I can find the same item on pet store shelves but if not I dont mind buying directly from Dr. Hoover. My Edward means the world to me I only want the best for him! He has been through enough. He will get lots of cuddles and kisses when he is better. I only let myself hold him every other day unless I have to get him out for some other reason. He doesn't seem to mind but stress is hard on birds. I will try and check into the Lefaber's this week the vet is 45 mins away or I would have already been. I will let you know!

With the hope of helping others I thought I would post how my avian vet treated sour crop! Early diagnosis will definitely help you when dealing with this. I caught Edward's within hours and was able to start treatment very quicky. Edward is a 1.6 lb Showgirl which you will need for proper dosing.
The medicine for sour crop is:
Metoclopramide 5 mg/5ml syrup give 2.5 ml every 6 to 8 hrs I would message this into the crop very gently (never turning him upside down, just took my 3 fingers and gently messaged the med in)
Enrofloxacin Susp give 1 ml every 12 hours for 7-10 days this is the antibotic.
Electrolytes in the water (I uesd watered down gatorade)
Dr. Hoover also put him on a soft diet of Lefaber's mix (the crack in chicken world I guess) he went nuts and it gave him the extra boost of energy he needed. The Lefaber's mix has to be served warm every 2-3 hours mix 3 scoops with 10 ml water, it will look like a warm milk shake. (I added Probois to counter the antibiotics) I was fortunate enough to only have to force feed one time and am very thankful for that.
Dr. Hoover also told me to keep him inside under a heat lamp which is where he still is recovering.
I highly suggest adding all of these to your emergency kit. I know this is what saved my babies life.

When my Edward came down with this I didn't waste anytime in getting him treatment I have only ever lost one bird and it was to sour crop. I am thinkful to Dr. Hoover in Murfreesboro Tn and sugget him for all your veterinary needs if you are in this area. He treated my Chicken as a beloved pet. Which he is! I am very thankful to have him within an hours drive and will not hesitate to use him in the future.

I have just read so much contradicting information on the internet and didn't know how to treat him myself and Edward's life meant too much to me to risk it. I am very happy I sought a professional and so is my Edward.

I do hope this information helps save more lives.
I know this is an 11 year old post, but if you're still here, I want you to know that you may have saved my Georgia's life. I live in Tennessee and decided to drive the two hours to Dr. Hoover in Manchester. I'm so glad I did. Georgy is making progress with her crop issues after only 24 hours. Thank you so much for mentioning Dr. Hoover's practice, Coffee Veterinary Hospital.

Back
Top Bottom