Vicious silkie baby roo fight

Three Silkies

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
I have six silkie chicks almost 7 weeks old (and their mama hen). One of the chicks has already developed a small comb, so I reckon he's probably a rooster (actually, I have a sinking feeling that they're ALL roosters). Anyway, today he and another chick were having a usual chest bumping and head pecking standoff when it got REALLY vicious. They kind of grabbed bits of each other with their beaks and sort of shook their heads from side to side to inflict as much pain as possible. They were both squealing in pain, but both kept going. It took ages for the mama hen, who was over the other side of the yard, to notice and come break it up. So, do you think I need to separate them? And, do you think I need to get rid of him/them? I don't want to get rid of any yet because I'm so desperate to have some hens in my flock and silkies can be tricky things (seeming like hens and then becoming roos and vice versa). I didn't want to get rid of any til I was 100% sure. Any advice anyone?

ive never heard of chicks that young fighting like that, especially silkies but acting like that they're bound to be roos unless there not getting fair share of food?

Its OK..and perfectly normal. We don't live with the chickens so we don't see all behaviors. Young chicks fight. It is part of growing up. It happens in all of the animal kingdom. You do not need to separate them. All sexes fight at that young age.

Its OK..and perfectly normal. We don't live with the chickens so we don't see all behaviors. Young chicks fight. It is part of growing up. It happens in all of the animal kingdom. You do not need to separate them. All sexes fight at that young age.

Thank you. That's a relief. Well, not that the vicious fighting will continue, but definitely that it's normal. :)

my neighbor did tell me that she had a batch of babies that fought like that so i guess it is "normal" but one of her chicks did lose an eye. hope its all good for you
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom