Vinyl flooring help

If you're using a sheet of vinyl flooring then the vinyl itself will serve as a vapor barrier as it is a waterproof material and will eliminate any drafts coming up through the floor boards.

If you want instead of the osb the luan or the linoleum flooring. Get tile board it is usually use for walls in bathrooms and kitchens and such but it is water resistant and with the floor in your coop now it will be sturdy enough to walk a mule on it. And you can caulk the seam if you wish. I have been building and remodeling houses since I was 8 and that is what I would use.

If you're using a sheet of vinyl flooring then the vinyl itself will serve as a vapor barrier as it is a waterproof material and will eliminate any drafts coming up through the floor boards.

They will be the square vinyl flooring title. Would that work?

If you want instead of the osb the luan or the linoleum flooring. Get tile board it is usually use for walls in bathrooms and kitchens and such but it is water resistant and with the floor in your coop now it will be sturdy enough to walk a mule on it. And you can caulk the seam if you wish. I have been building and remodeling houses since I was 8 and that is what I would use.

hmm...I shall look into it.

I have some photos of our floor being put together.

We started with slatted pieces like yours.
I did use a moisture barrier, and I also spread a thick layer of DE before putting down the linoleum.
I did not use glue -- I want to be able to remove the flooring if need be.
We secured the flooring with screwed strips.
Good luck with yours!

I have some photos of our floor being put together.

We started with slatted pieces like yours.
I did use a moisture barrier, and I also spread a thick layer of DE before putting down the linoleum.
I did not use glue -- I want to be able to remove the flooring if need be.
We secured the flooring with screwed strips.
Good luck with yours!

What is DE?

and thanks! can I see your pictures if possible?

Yes, just click the words Hen House in my forum signature, that will bring you to the page.
DE is (food grade) diatomaceous earth (not correct spelling) ... it kills bugs naturally.
There is a photo of the bag I used on my page too.

Yes, just click the words Hen House in my forum signature, that will bring you to the page.
DE is (food grade) diatomaceous earth (not correct spelling) ... it kills bugs naturally.
There is a photo of the bag I used on my page too.

OHHH Okay lol....I thought it stood for something else...it could have been because I was really tired though. Where did you get that huge bag of it though? I can't seem to find anything bigger then a small bottle of it.

The flooring i got is sort of like carpet..you just cut it too fit and thats it too it. :)

You can also Just tack down the flooring so you can remove it and clean it. Its a good vapor barrier on its own. I like the idea of cement board too.

Masonite too if you want to glue the vinyl down. Masonite is the same stuff they make peg board from but it doesnt have holes punched into it.

There is no ONE way to do it.... LOL. just what ever materials you are comfortable working with.

If I were to have a small coop that needed a floor I would invest in ABS sheet. But then I know where to get it locally.... Thats the same stuff they make truck bed liners out of. Score bend and snap to cut.... and you can bend it using a heat gun.

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom