Pics

Violetsfeathers

Songster
8 Years
Feb 22, 2015
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
In 2011 I asked my mom if we could get chickens eventually her and my dad said yes so we started choosing breeds from Murray McMurray hatchery. The black australorps were especially pretty and I wanted some Cochins too but my mom said their feathered feet would get all poopy.
Eventually we decided on:
2 GL Wyandottes
4 SL Wyandottes
And 4 black Australorps.
We picked them up at the hatchery March 5 but one of the chicks was different. He was an extra and my sister and I begged mom to keep him, she did.
When we got home we counted the chicks and there were 12! They had given us an extra Australorp too. I named the two GLW Ginger and Cinnamon and the only australorp with a gray head Violet, the extra chick (a silver spangled Hamburg) we named Wilbur because he was the smallest. When they were older we sold 3 Australorps to a neighbor the two we kept were Shadow and Violet. When they were still young a raccoon walked into the coop and took shadow.
Wilbur turned out to be a boy and would sometimes attack us. My sister wouldn't let us sell him, but he did a good job of watching over the hens.

Last edited:
3 eggs have hatched and one more has pipped!

This ones name is Pecan

And this is Almond!

These two don't have names

Hey guys :) yah, it’s been a while, ever since the BYC website changed I haven’t been here much :/

Muffin died in October, she was four years old I think.

Speckles’ hatchday was March 5th. She is now SEVEN years old!

I’m trying to breed Stonefrost to Marshmallow but Marshmallow isn’t laying eggs yet, she’s like, 4 years old. I got her as an adult so I don’t know how old she is.

I did post an ad on Craigslist for fertile Cochin/brahma bantam eggs and have sold some! :D real nice person who has had chickens too

2013 we got chicks again, this time bantams. 2 Buff brahma bantams
2 Mille Fleur Bantams
2 quail D'Anver bantams
And 4 black Australorps (which we sold)
We eventually sold the Mille fluers because they weren't our favorite. The buff brahmas turned out to be boys, Flame and Pumpkin. We sold Flame, Pumpkin was my favorite.
The D'Anvers were both girls, Muffin and Pearls.

2014, I think we had 2 SLW, Ginger, Violet, and Wilbur. Pumpkin, Muffin, and Pearls. We did not get chicks this year but I saw a freinds chicken in the fair (a white Cochin bantam hen, and named her marshmallow) and immediately fell in love. I got reserve champion in showmanship with Pumpkin.
I kept asking my freinds dad if he would sell me one of marshmallows chicks next year.

Violet died :'( and one of our SLW died too. In October we moved to Minnesota with a SLW (Speckles), Ginger, Wilbur, Pumpkin, Muffin, and Pearls.

Last edited:
In February 2015 my freinds dad finally sold me a white Cochin bantam pullet which I also named Marshmallow.

Wilbur also died in February from a ear infection that wouldn't respond to treatment.
The fair laws in Minnesota say you can long show chickens born that year so dad ordered me some chicks from my pet chicken. We kept a Black australorp, a polish, 2 Mille fleurs, a mottled Cochin, and 3 buff brahmas. All girls. Well that year avian flu broke out so they canceled chickens at the fair so I didn't get to show.

This year, 2016, Marshmallow went broody Dec 31. At first I tried to break her but gave up and ordered some blue/splash and lavender Cochin bantam chicks for her from a breeder, the breeders chickens haven't even started laying yet so I gave four eggs to Marshmallow, they will hatch this Friday! (March 5)

And so the story continues...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom