Virgin Chicken owner...the beginning of the journey!

One important thing I've learned raising chickens is....
DON'T BUY STORE BOUGHT COOPS!!
They may seem great when you look at them but if you don't know crap about raising chickens yet (like me)... Just don't do it.
I wish I'd done more coop research before I bought the one I did. But.... What's done is done so I'm trying to work with it.
1f601.png

They're still happy and laying me some eggs. But poo on eggs is
1f637.png

I should add that I THINK these are the ones who laid. That's because they started taking the hump stance when I come near them
1f633.png

Great Read. Thanks for posting. We are new and started with 6 as well. I built the coop from plans in a book (with some alterations). Book said 5 to 8 chickens....any more than 6 would be too tight. We bought them @ 16 weeks old and they settled in really quick. This is 19 weeks and one is laying. Is it a lot of fun but we never stop worrying for their safety.

Yes it feels like I'm always wondering how they're doing and what I can do better. Lol
It's so fun though! I'd love to see your coop!

It's a great journey to start. I was raised owning chickens in our family and now I have a flock of my very own this year. They're friendly social animals. I love watching them and observing them with one another. They do a great job with bugs too!

Last edited:
A carpenter I am not. That window will shut tight and I have welded wire tacked down inside. So far the girls have had run of the yard; however, I will be fencing the area below the deck so they can stay there when no one is home.

Back
Top Bottom