Virgin Chicken owner...the beginning of the journey!

It's a great journey to start. I was raised owning chickens in our family and now I have a flock of my very own this year. They're friendly social animals. I love watching them and observing them with one another. They do a great job with bugs too! 

Gotta love their love for bugs, that's for sure!! Because I don't like bugs. Lol

[/IMG]

What do you mean you're not a carpenter?? That looks GREAT!! Love it! How much time and $ did it end up costing you to follow plans?
We spent $200 on the store bought coop. Then about another $200 making a run including wood, welded wire, shade coverings, screws, door locks and hinges. Now we have spent another $50ish to redo the coop. And still not done. I feel like that store bought coop just was a bad idea but I have nothing to compare it to either....

I wish I would have kept a solid accounting. The shingles I had laying around, aluminum flashing was in a dumpster @ a job site, window was $10 @ a thrift store. Welded wire, 4x4 treated and outside sheathing were most costly. I guess I have near $650 in it. I used screws everywhere and bought a lot of brackets and structural materials for the base. It is very heavy. It does move pretty easy once its in motion. I intend to install a receiver so I can pull it with the lawn tractor. I thought moving it would be nice for the changing seasons. I can pull it into the sun for winter and complete shade for summer.

It has six nest boxes which is twice what it needs. We are going to block off one end for storage items and perhaps a deep cell battery should I decide to electrify the run or install a motion light. It really is an ongoing project so I am not at all surprised you continue to tinker with yours.

I think the coop itself is everything but bear proof and we very rarely hear tell of a bear around here. The run is another matter. Because it is mobile it is susceptible to digging predators. The ramp door is locked with a latch on the inside. Free ranging leaves the door open to a daytime heist by a fox (which I hear at night often) or bird of prey (a GHO was in the yard just two mornings ago).

I wish I would have kept a solid accounting. The shingles I had laying around, aluminum flashing was in a dumpster @ a job site, window was $10 @ a thrift store. Welded wire, 4x4 treated and outside sheathing were most costly. I guess I have near $650 in it. I used screws everywhere and bought a lot of brackets and structural materials for the base. It is very heavy. It does move pretty easy once its in motion. I intend to install a receiver so I can pull it with the lawn tractor. I thought moving it would be nice for the changing seasons. I can pull it into the sun for winter and complete shade for summer.

It has six nest boxes which is twice what it needs. We are going to block off one end for storage items and perhaps a deep cell battery should I decide to electrify the run or install a motion light. It really is an ongoing project so I am not at all surprised you continue to tinker with yours.

I think the coop itself is everything but bear proof and we very rarely hear tell of a bear around here. The run is another matter. Because it is mobile it is susceptible to digging predators. The ramp door is locked with a latch on the inside. Free ranging leaves the door open to a daytime heist by a fox (which I hear at night often) or bird of prey (a GHO was in the yard just two mornings ago).

Your coop sounds great!! Sounds like you thought of everything and didnt a good job building. Everything but bear proof is awesome. I mean are OUR houses even bear proof? Lol

Back
Top Bottom