Virginia creeper...

(I thought I would just answer all you guys one by one since I didn't see any of this for a long time)

I know that I don't have poison ivy in my yard-- I've got four kids and they are all over the yard and not a single itch. It's 'only' virginia creeper and it just about does me in. I've found nothing that helps. :(
I don't know if you were saying for the rash or getting rid of the plant, but if you were talking about the rash, ya was put on Prednizone for it :( For the plant I don't know the only way i've heard of the get rid of it is to pull it out!

Funny you should mention Virginia creeper. I just came in from pulling as much of it out of my front beds as I could before it got pitch dark out. lol It's part of my summer ritual. Virginia creeper is not in and of itself a toxic-dermatitis causing plant, but individual people can have allergies to any kind of plant or animal, and certainly it is possible that someone can be allergic to Virginia creeper. I pull loads of it and handle it a lot, with never a rash or problem. So, it sounds like an individual sensitivity. Benedryl might help, and using gloves and sleeve-guards (take a pair of ;ong tube socks with good elastic fabric, cut the foot part, and pull the "tubes" over your arms like sleeves) when weeding.
Yeah that's what I've heard, *sigh* i guess i'm just one of those people..

Sorry you're having such a reaction and hope you get some good medical help. I've got Virginia Creeper all over the place and I've never known it to give anyone an adverse reaction. It is commonly confused with poison ivy. They look similar but VA Creeper has 5 leaves whereas poison ivy has 3. I'd recheck that patch and make sure ivy isn't mixed in with it.

Some people are naturally resistant to poison ivy. My husband has never gotten it and he regularly weed-whacks a patch of poison ivy at the end of our driveway. Just because other's haven't gotten it doesn't mean its not there.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Well i haven't had it for a while not I just never updated on it. I now have scars on my hands from it, i'm not touching it again, to tell you the truth i don't even want to look at that evil plant -_-. hahaha. So I have now found that I seem to be highly allergic to poison ivy/Virginia Creeper.

There is a very effective soap-treatment called Technu, that you can apply to skin or use to wash garden tools, etc. that came in contact with PI or other toxic-resin plant. It removes PI oil and certainly should remove less resinous saps of other plants as well, including Virginia creeper.

For Virginia creeper, my previous suggestion also stands: to make sleeve-arm guards out of long, thick tube socks. You cut the foot end off OR you just slit the end and a thumb hole and wear it like fingerless gloves (and put garden gloves on over them). It's great when pulling creeper or whatnot during hot weather when you want to wear short sleeves but don't want to be bare armed when handling something you're allergic to. Toss them in the laundry with strong soap and they are good to use again. Or, toss them as disposables if you can buy cheap 6-packs at a dollar store.

There is a very effective soap-treatment called Technu, that you can apply to skin or use to wash garden tools, etc. that came in contact with PI or other toxic-resin plant. It removes PI oil and certainly should remove less resinous saps of other plants as well, including Virginia creeper.

For Virginia creeper, my previous suggestion also stands: to make sleeve-arm guards out of long, thick tube socks. You cut the foot end off OR you just slit the end and a thumb hole and wear it like fingerless gloves (and put garden gloves on over them). It's great when pulling creeper or whatnot during hot weather when you want to wear short sleeves but don't want to be bare armed when handling something you're allergic to. Toss them in the laundry with strong soap and they are good to use again. Or, toss them as disposables if you can buy cheap 6-packs at a dollar store.
I do use technu but i've found that, while it's good to use to get it all cleaned out, and I would continue using it you should still be doing extra to dry it out which is were that Super Ivy Dry comes in.:)

No one answered the question as to whether virginia creeper is ok for chickens, I plan on building an enclosure in a spot that is full of virginia creeper.

Back
Top Bottom