Virginia

New to the forum here and wanted to say hello! In Dinwiddie VA. Had 15 hens down one she got attacked by dogs yesterday and think one hen maybe a roo. Doesn't crow but acts and looks like one who knows... Will replace them soon with more buff orp. They are my favs now good temperament and excellent layers :)

So sorry to hear about the loss of your flock. we have had problems with predators this year, too. seems to have been a bad year for that. or maybe I am just attuned to it because of my own issues with them. anyway, welcome to the Virginia group!

I know when I first got mine they buried them under the wood chips so I thought they weren't laying yet went to clean out coop and found 6 eggs. They have learned to get n there nesting boxes to lay now. Get about 8 eggs a day from my girls

I know when I first got mine they buried them under the wood chips so I thought they weren't laying yet went to clean out coop and found 6 eggs. They have learned to get n there nesting boxes to lay now. Get about 8 eggs a day from my girls

I wish mine were so accommodating. but they free range, so now and then the dog helps me find the hidden nests in the woods. (usually he finds and eats the eggs without telling me first LOL)

Last edited:
You are lucky to be able to keep urs free range I have lost too many to dogs running through my property so now they only allowed out when I am working in the yd and can babysit them. Even out mine go back to the coop lay their eggs then come back out. Thank you girls! Lol

You are lucky to be able to keep urs free range I have lost too many to dogs running through my property so now they only allowed out when I am working in the yd and can babysit them. Even out mine go back to the coop lay their eggs then come back out. Thank you girls! Lol

well, I have some penned for breeding and my eating egg flock free ranges. no worries on dogs, my own dog stays outside during nice weather and is a better guard than most IMO. the only times I've had losses during the day are days that I've had to leave and take himwith me. (he's also a full time service dog for me)

I have just one EE so most of mine lay brown of some sort. Just looking for a more varied basket but I love the buffs color. Might have to get one anyway! Mine are confined due to my four dogs. Three retrievers! Lol

Back
Top Bottom