Viva Las Vegas!

Hello everyone! I have a huge favor to ask. I need to borrow an incubator. I have an LG right now. I made a newbie mistake. I have 12 OE and SBEL eggs that are on day 12. I also have silkie eggs that are on day 7. SO, I can't keep the silkies in there at lock down and, of course I am on a budget. I'm willing to return the incubator with a chick or two
1f601.png
1f423.png
. If anyone can help me out, please let me know.
thank You,
Ricki

Hello everyone! I have a huge favor to ask. I need to borrow an incubator. I have an LG right now. I made a newbie mistake. I have 12 OE and SBEL eggs that are on day 12. I also have silkie eggs that are on day 7. SO, I can't keep the silkies in there at lock down and, of course I am on a budget. I'm willing to return the incubator with a chick or two
1f601.png
1f423.png
. If anyone can help me out, please let me know.
thank You,
Ricki

Do you know anyone that teaches at an elementary school? Just a thought. Good luck. Oh yeah! You could also make an incubator pretty cheaply. There are lots of diy instructions on this website for that.

I have two incubators but they are hens. Cranky, hormonal hens. One tagged me yesterday and actually drew blood. Good news is that there will be chicks on Sunday! Just think. Babies on Mother's Day! Love it!

Max, Ke_ben tells me that fertility looks good so far. I won't be checking under my broody. I like all my fingers.

Last edited:
Does anyone have know where I can find a list of poultry shows near LV?
Sorry. The only show I know of is the county fair and that was last month.

Ok, one question to everyone in Las Vegas: what are your tricks for keeping your chicken cool in the 100+ degree weather? We're almost at that time again (assuming its not going to drop down to 59 again next week!)
As mentioned by cary1973, the best thing to do is make sure they have access to cool water to drink. I put frozen 2 liter bottles in my waterers. I also make frozen treats (mostly just seeds, feed and fruit/veg) for them to peck at. They love to have water to stand in but it gets very smelly pretty quick so it needs to be replaced often. Shade, shade and more shade. They really love to hang out in the dirt along the fenceline because when the lawn waters the soil along it is moist and cool. I have a sheet of plywood up on cinderblocks in the run to give them more shady places to be. Do everything you can and then brace yourself for the chance you may lose a few. It happens. Good luck!

Hey I wanted to introduce myself on this thread! Mindy here and I just was gifted 2 bantam (one sebright, the other i'm not sure yet) chicks. very last minute totally not prepared! my yard is not ready i don't even have a coop yet. and we are dead broke. I think they are about 6 weeks old. so here i am soaking up as much info as humanly possible!!! any links direction suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. right now they are in a giant rubbermaid bin with straw and i have plenty of food.. so off i am to upcycle me a coop and set up my yard!!! wish me luck!!

welcome-byc.gif
and the LV thread! So glad you're here! Check out craigslist for coop possibilities...and get creative. My coop is almost all recycled. I love it that way. If I come across any great ideas, I'll let you know. Oh, and where are you located in the area?
Hello Vegas, I was wondering if any family here would let my husband & I come take a look at your coop & pick your brain a little. We want to have chickens, but first want to be prepared! thank you!

welcome-byc.gif
too! I would be willing to let you come see my set up. PM me. I have learned so much from BYC and am always trying new things. Chickening is way easier than it used to be when I was a kid. Where are you located? What part of the valley? I'm on the east side.

funny you say recycled right now we repurposed my kids old play structure covered it in netting and stuck in the dog run behind the fence so the dogs can't get them. so far our animals seem not that interested in them. We are in henderson. we want to make a tractor eventually so that we can move them to turn our compost over our garden beds. BUT since we still don't even have beds yet.. yeah right now they are some what mobile in the sense that i can drag their structure around the yard LOL.. but soon, tomorrow i'm picking up a donated coop, not sure its condition but i'm sure i can make it work

funny you say recycled right now we repurposed my kids old play structure covered it in netting and stuck in the dog run behind the fence so the dogs can't get them. so far our animals seem not that interested in them. We are in henderson. we want to make a tractor eventually so that we can move them to turn our compost over our garden beds. BUT since we still don't even have beds yet.. yeah right now they are some what mobile in the sense that i can drag their structure around the yard LOL.. but soon, tomorrow i'm picking up a donated coop, not sure its condition but i'm sure i can make it work
Awesome! I'm amazed at how many ways there are to keep chickens. Our summer coop is made of a ancient camper placed on top of a pallet base. It's not pretty, but it works. Hopefully we'll get photos of your coops soon.

Here's my summer/Utah coop.

And my winter/Las Vegas coop. Hmmm. Looks like I need to shoot a few from other angles, like the other side outside of the run.

I have 5 cute little chicks and more on the way! So excited!

Last edited:
Hey Cary 1973,nice to see a fellow henderson-er on here. We got our rabbit hutch to be repurposed but it needs a little repair and work. Unfortunately its now much to hot for me to be out in the yard. Here's for hoping for another cool down. Hey is there a good feed store in henderson you like? And I'm Also looking for two more bantam pullets to add to my tiny flock. Is there a protocol for introducing new birds? Thankfully my hutch has a divider so I can keep them separate but next to each other if need be. This forum rocks so glad I found it. Any other cool threads you guys follow that you would suggest?

Hey Cary 1973,nice to see a fellow henderson-er on here. We got our rabbit hutch to be repurposed but it needs a little repair and work. Unfortunately its now much to hot for me to be out in the yard. Here's for hoping for another cool down. Hey is there a good feed store in henderson you like? And I'm Also looking for two more bantam pullets to add to my tiny flock. Is there a protocol for introducing new birds? Thankfully my hutch has a divider so I can keep them separate but next to each other if need be. This forum rocks so glad I found it. Any other cool threads you guys follow that you would suggest?
I use sunset feed and tackle off of boulder highway past sunset road they also have chicks most the time.

Sunset Saddlery & Feed
241 Elliott Rd
Henderson, NV 89015
Phone: (702) 564-1087
I have not added to my small flock but everything I read is you need to keep the new away from est for a min of 2 weeks but a month or little longer is better due to illness. there are a lot of sad stories of people losing there whole flock due to introducing new birds that bring sickness with them

Hello everyone. I have a wonderfully sweet serama rooster that I need to rehome. He is very friendly and just learning to crow. I'm not asking for any money, I just want him to go to a good home.

Omg rlh1! I just came on to post the same thing! I have just this morning figured out one of my bantams is a rooster. We got 2 road island red pullets yesterday and our what looks like an Orpington started trying to heard them and started trying to crow.

He needs a new home asap. #1 he's not letting the new hens eat or drink and well no roosters in Henderson! I will drive him anywhere!

Back
Top Bottom