Viva Las Vegas!

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to help our chickens through the extreme Las Vegas heat? I've researched this but I wanted to find out what fellow Vegas chicken keepers are doing. Thanks :)

I'm not sure how to use this website but I'm looking into getting about 3-4 chickens. We have a scorpion problem, a huge backyard and we heard that they eat scorpions. We live on Cheyenne & Ft Apache. How do we find out if we are allowed to have them? Thanks

I'm not sure how to use this website but I'm looking into getting about 3-4 chickens. We have a scorpion problem, a huge backyard and we heard that they eat scorpions. We live on Cheyenne & Ft Apache. How do we find out if we are allowed to have them? Thanks

The first and biggest thing to check into is the HOA rules. That one will make you or break you. Even if you are aloud to within the law the HOA most likely has a rule against it. If that is not a problem look for local ordinances. I believe you are in unincorporated Las Vegas over there so looking at the Clark County Ordinance will be a good start. The restrictions I have here in North Las Vegas are the coop and run must be at least 60 feet away from any dwelling other than my own and no male over the age of 3 months. Do the homework, the money adds up quick to get everything set up and started and you don't want that to go to waste.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to help our chickens through the extreme Las Vegas heat? I've researched this but I wanted to find out what fellow Vegas chicken keepers are doing. Thanks :)

I have two 1 gallon jugs that I put in the freezer chest every night. I put them in the coop when I do my morning checks. The chickens go in the coop when its to hot outside and they all lean against the water jugs. I also have two waters that I fill and freeze as well. As the ice melts throughout the day it gives them fresh ice cold water. They will drink more water when it is cool and that will help them with the heat as well... Simple stuff but really effective.

Just dropped by to say "hi" folks. Have a great week, enjoy the cool weather
wink.png

No. 1 heat beater: Provide shade

Then (in no particular order).... Frozen water jugs, damp sand, a shallow wading pool (in shade), frozen watermelon, misters.

I'm sure chickens and heat have been covered numerous times on other threads. Type into the search box key words and the forums will pop up.

For the Hot days I freeze a angel food cake pan with water and layers of treats: greens, watermelon, strawberry tops,etc. I turn it out on an upside down garbage can lid. It melts and they'll stand in the cool water. They also peck at the treats and get extra water by eating the ice. I run home from work at lunch to put it out for them. Of course a well ventilated coop, and shade are biggies too. Lots of good info on this site.

Back
Top Bottom