Wacky crooked coop

When I read "Wacky crooked coop", I pictured it painted in hot pink, neon yellow and green, and elctric blue. But whatever colors you choose, I think it will look awesome!

Yes - clearly with the artistic style, your coop will look amazing no matter what colors you use (or don't use). Just please - keep that camera busy! You have a flock of avid followers now as you finish this amazing piece of useful art!

I love the dark green weathered look! Especially if you put the tin can looking chimney on it. Such a cute look...and I can see your husbands pirate vision. Lucky kids! Arrrrrrgggg!

We were discussing a dormer for one side and a stove pipe chimney for the other.

He has a pirate obsession. We do some pirate re-enacting. It is his excuse to have a canon ;) not to mention a whole closet full of pirate clothing. All hand made. Frock coats. Leather hats. Baldrics and swords. Etc.

Yes - clearly with the artistic style, your coop will look amazing no matter what colors you use (or don't use). Just please - keep that camera busy! You have a flock of avid followers now as you finish this amazing piece of useful art!

That is exciting about your new chicks. I love mine. They are so pretty and personable.

We will certainly keep adding photos. I am using this rather as a log to see how long it is taking. No work for today though. It is raining on and off all day. If we didn't need it so much I would be annoyed. But the land is so parched.

I can't wait to see it, and that breed sounds wonderful (it's making me seriously re-consider the brahma's I have been completely set on! lol! $19.00 a bird is a lot though with having no guaruntee of sex. :/

I can't wait to see it, and that breed sounds wonderful (it's making me seriously re-consider the brahma's I have been completely set on! lol! $19.00 a bird is a lot though with having no guaruntee of sex. :/

One of my friends did a swap for some SFH eggs and our chicks (straight run) will be much less expensive than that... Is there anyone in your area that will incubate eggs for you? Eggs can be gotten from other bird owners other than the original folks who imported them. I think highly of the original hatchery, but I guess my long-winded point is that you CAN get them other places, cheaper. If you have an incubator, you could give it a shot yourself. Just put up a "Wanted" add for SFH eggs. Apparently the roos (if you get some) are very easy going, but if you can't have roos, they probably would not be hard to re-home.

Is the roof going to soffit overhang on the front and back like it does on the sides?

It would add so much to the distorted look of it if you did.

I asked my husband (who is a props artisan for our local playhouse) to help me with building a chicken coop. After scrapping many sets up plans, I thought we had settled on a simple 6x8 shed with a slanted roof. Then he had a bout with insomnia and spent the night researching playhouses for our kids. Well, too much time and an overly creative carpenter can make for interesting.

Absolutely LOVE the coop! Had to smile when I read he's a props crafter as I work at a performing arts center so see lots of sets and props. That chicken coop is right up there with some of the best "props" I've seen!

Would love to know what his inspiration was. Fun house? Dr. Seuss? I get a real Dr. Seuss feel from it. Green Eggs & Ham, anyone?
big_smile.png

Can't wait to see pics of the final product.

Back
Top Bottom