Wakey, Wakey Eggs and Bakey!!

Oh really! now does the whole wing turn dark or just the tips? I read that around 5 weeks I'd be able to tell really easy but can it be done sooner?
Oh and GOOD MORNING :)

There is a Fav thread I would attach but IT don't know how to do it on my tablet. They are a very chatty thread and IT learned a lot from it.

If you could take pics I might be able to tell you which they re now.

Good morning!
Couldn't get to sleep last night, so, I slept in until 7:20. Chickie chores done, finches, parakeet and dog fed...time for coffee on the deck. It's beautifully crisp this morning (50 degrees F), promising to get up to the 70's and the sky is looking so blue, everything is washed clean from yesterday's rain and Spring is bursting :)

Morning y'all!!

sorry I missed you guys. I unforinetly woke up really sick and it took all day to kick. But I'm feeling a ton better today and hope to get everything accomplished I didn't yesterday! I need to set up a section in the hen house for the barred rocks so they can get outta the house. They will be 6 weeks old sunday, so time to start the rest of life outside. Then I'm changing out brooders for the Ameraucanas to something a bit bigger so they can stretch out. I also have a TON of house work to do and a bedroom to continue painting. My husband and I are remodeling it for my oldest daughters birthday!! she's gonna love it!!!

Quote:
My oldest chicks will also be turning 6 weeks this week and from what I can see...I have 3 roos and 3 hens... luckly I have 2 other kinds of chicks so I didn't worry about replacements. lol.

Quote:
Thanks I found the thread! I also was talking to my mother in law and she was telling me about an old trick that some guy told her which he heard it from an amish man! So I did both tests (wing color and neck test) and I should have 3 hens and 3 roos in my faverolle bunch! also, did the neck test with my Ameraucanas and I will have 3 hens and one roo (which is exactly what we were hoping for with them!)

Here are my Favs (and friends) at 2 weeks.

male Fav Araucana
Female fav silkie
Female fav Houdan

You can really see the difference in the feather color here. I didn't have a good pick when they were younger. (excuse my feet/legs, they were using me for shade during a brooder "outing")

Morning.

Cool. What is the "neck test"?
Let me see if I can explain it.... You take your pointer finger and middle finger and slide the chicks neck in between them and let the head rest on your fingers. hold them secure but not to the point it could hurt them.let go with the opposite hand and just keep watch. then if the chick settles down and starts to relax in this position its said to be female... if it continues to fussy and try to get away its male. the whole test is only a minute or so long.

Here are my Favs (and friends) at 2 weeks.

male Fav Araucana
Female fav silkie
Female fav Houdan

You can really see the difference in the feather color here. I didn't have a good pick when they were younger. (excuse my feet/legs, they were using me for shade during a brooder "outing")
awe their beautiful. Mine arent quite that feathered yet. But the tips of the wings are changing and I can see the differences well! and trust me I dont mind the feet... kinda why I always have my toes painted pretty LOL. I go bare foot way more than any farm gal should lol.

Back
Top Bottom