Walking backwards and crop feels hard- help

lilmillefleur

chillin' with my peeps!
8 Years
Oct 3, 2015
MA
We were on vacation the past week and when we came back one of our chickens was acting off. She was walking with her head down low, and sometimes walking backwards. We were going to feed her some egg and tuna to get her some vitamins and selenium but then noticed her crop was rock hard so decided not to feed her. We don’t have any other vitamins or nutridrench on hand right now but given the circumstances we probably should. Any advice on what else to do?
Some more clues:
1. Their water was bone dry when we came back from vacation. We did have a sitter come over to take care of them who was last here just yesterday; he might have missed the water. The poor chickens were all very thirsty. Perhaps the lack of water impacted the crop
2. We do have a history of Mareks in our flock, the most recent suspected casualty had wry-neck like symptoms. although none have acted in the way this hen has, I think Mareks is pretty likely unfortunately.
4. I treated my flock with 0.09 ml/lb of ivermectin pour on last week for scaly leg mites. I don’t think this has to do with anything but just in case

Last edited:
It could be impacted crop. Refrigerate about a tablespoon of coconut oil until it's hardened and give that to her. After she eats the coconut oil massage her crop for 20min. Repeat those steps until you think her crop is emptying.

Back
Top Bottom