Walnut hulls?

Mar 22, 2022
I have black walnut tree that drops nuts in yard. I read somewhere that walnuts were bad for chickens. I just saw one of my hens pecking and eating green hull.
Do I need to remove the walnuts from the chicken yard? She is going on three years old and I imagine that this was not the first walnut she has nibbled on. Thanks

Nothing wrong with walnuts.
If they are sitting on the ground and molding, not so much. They usually don't start to drop until they are starting to dry.
You can also pick them up. Place them on a tarp to dry then give them to the chickens (if the dogs don't steal them first).

Nothing wrong with walnuts.
If they are sitting on the ground and molding, not so much. They usually don't start to drop until they are starting to dry.
You can also pick them up. Place them on a tarp to dry then give them to the chickens (if the dogs don't steal them first).
Good to know. A long time ago, I would pick up walnuts in fall by five gallons, run the car over them to remove the hulls and crack them in front of the fire on winter nights. Now, I wish I had the time to rake them up before I break my neck in yard. I'm glad my hen enjoyed her treat.

Update, color me red. I went to let chickens out this morning and on the ground were peaches from tree in garden that for the last ten years has not produced a single peach!

Back
Top Bottom