Sponsored Post Want to share your fresh eggs? Learn about the Local Hens community!

I carton them up and mark the date on them. Then they go in the 'fridge on the back porch and anyone that needs them can help themselves. Sometimes they leave money and sometimes not, but they get used and enjoyed.

I get on average 42 eggs a day during this cold season and 60ish when its warm. They are free range and supplemented with organic feed mix & oyster. I cant seem to sell many eggs. The family ranch is out in BFE so we don't have people come out. Ive tried selling on craigslist which has led many calls & text but no one follows through. Between baking and eating, the extended family barely consumes half the eggs (& that's trying hehe), I do sell about 6 or 7 dozen a week but other than that I have no profit coming in at the moment. This year I plan on participating in quite a few farmers markets, eggs being one of the products. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of eggs get donated to the local food pantry to help struggling families. It feels good donating, but id rather make the money these phenomenal eggs deserve! I give eggs to my boxing/sparing buddies mom who in turn cooks me awesome middle eastern food, which is by far the best trade I get every week!!

All in all I may check out this website although I dont like to promote advertisement posters. Which reminds me, I may setup a mini fridge on my front porch with a money jar so people in my neighborhood can purchase eggs regardless if im home or not. There arent too many hoodlums around so I dont have to worry about the fridge getting stolen and if people steal the money, well hey, they need it more than I do.

cool look'n rooster bet u love him!
Yes I do, the little stinker! So far the neighbors are cool with him. Im beginning to think I am the only one that hears him.
Could it be because I live in a 100 year old house with single pane windows and spend all of my time and money expanding and upgrading my chickencoop?? Hmmmmmm.

I brought eggs to work for everyone last year, everybody got at least a turn with a dozen eggs.........Egg production is a little slow right now tho.

Last edited:
you freeze fresh eggs? Guess I'm not aware that they can be frozen. break into the muffin tin, then when frozen into a zip lock bag..can you use then as you would a fresh egg gathered from the chicken house?

Thanks for the information, If I get to the point where there are too many eggs I have considered putting a sign out. It is allowed in SC to sell your own eggs from your front yard or street.

We would like to sell our eggs to locals and use that money to offset feed costs. We will purchase one of the signs with stakes that you have advertized. We currently have 20 hens. I will investigate further on joining. Great bit of information and advertizing set up for us. Thanks from Our Roost.

I'm not getting very many eggs at the moment - about 18 a day. Of course that's more than my family can eat, so a few months ago my mother put an add up on her Facebook page and got so many replies from her friends that I had to deny some people! I've got a lot of chicks and pullets at the moment so will have a lot more eggs to sell this year. I sell for $2.50 for half a dozen, $4.50 for a dozen, and $20 for five dozen. I've noticed that 'free-range' eggs in the supermarket tend to be about $4.99 a dozen.

I used to sell at a community market once a month down in town but found it was too irregular - every four weeks - and it was getting difficult to take eggs that far. Most of the Farmer's Markets around where I live have become quite expensive to sell at - I got 15 pages of paperwork to fill out when I enquired about having a stall at one of them! Not to mention the price of having a stall! Besides, lots of people sell eggs at them as a side to whatever else their main product is, often for cheaper prices than me. So markets aren't a viable option for me. I also don't think having a sign out the front would work... I live on such a remote, inaccessible, long road, that the only people who drive down it are the ones who live here, and most of them have chooks themselves. There are a couple of people in the area who sell eggs from little shelf-house-thingies at the ends of their driveways, but I'm not sure how much business they do!

Apart from that, if we get too many eggs, I can usually find something to do with them. We don't often get too many chicken eggs, but we find that duck eggs are much harder to sell (are people afraid of the unknown?) so we often have too many of them. Being summer, we've been going to a lot of barbeques - a good place to use up eggs in curried egg or egg salad, not to mention making it for consumption at home. My mother recently pickled thousands of duck eggs, too (well, maybe not quite thousands...).

Just a comment about the freezing of the eggs - I tried that once and they cracked. What's your trick?

Back
Top Bottom