WANTED: Canadian-Friendly Hatching Eggs Spring 2017

SilverLacedMom

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Hello! Looking for a Canadian-friendly Chicken person! I moved up here from the states, and so far I have a few Orphingtons from a farm way out of town (8 hr drive!)...So looking for next spring some hatching eggs for my hens to hatch for me.

I am interested in Wyandotte, Cochin, Brahma, or any other cold hearty breeds. I prefer standard fowl as they can handle the cold temps better.

I am looking in advance because it is hard to find anyone willing/able to ship to Canada from the states, etc. And my hens are going to be old enough next spring to hatch the eggs...

Looking for 6-12 eggs.

Thank you so much, please send me a PM if you are interested!

NW Ontario, Red Lake.
Darn, was wondering why I couldn't find any options other than Frey's hatchery. I want more quality stock than hatchery birds.

Thats why I am searching far ahead, I found my current birds from Kijiji, the father was english import but I think the hens were hatchery.

I was just going to suggest kijiji. In spring you will see much more available on there. Nobody want chicks now with winter coming. You are way up there! I'm near Wasaga Beach, Ontario if you know where that is. Welcome to Canada. I keep Barred Rocks and LF Cochin and my neighbor has Wyandot and black sex links all in uninsulated coops. They do well but you will probable have more bitter temps up there.

Thank you ChickCrack. Yep I know there wont be much now since its already fall up here. Thats why I was scouting out for next spring/summer for some nice birds. I will keep my eye out on kijiji. I have family down in Toronto area so if we can time a trip down there to pick up some birds/eggs that would be good to do too. :)

We have pretty cold winters, sometimes it drops down to -40 C for a few weeks, I have been told, during a rough winter. I have not experienced such weather but the coop is semi insulated, and has a heater, deep bedding...and if it is too much for the birds we have a finished basement I can put them in kennels in there if it got too rough. There are lots of people here that keep chickens but they are all mutts or hatchery stock (and have already lost many birds to health/predators!), but since I treat my birds like pets, I would prefer to get some super nice birds. :D

Yes mine are pets as well. I know of a breeder just south of Barrie that has several different heritage breeds. He is always on Kijiji in spring (listed under Barrie). That would be an easy stop on the way to toronto. I will have Blue and Barred Cochin hatching eggs in spring (hopefully) as my guys will be a year old then. They are from a breeder near me and are growing out quite beautifully
1f603.png
I'm not a breeder but I agree with you that the hatchery birds genes are not good and it's heartbreaking to lose them so young with illness/cancer/repro issues. So I wanted to switch to stronger stock and decided some pretty feathered feet would look nice in the yard lol.

Sweet! I just got a reply from a breeder north of Guelph! I love this site!!!

Oh my Chickcrack, I just LOVE Cochins, the ones I have had had THE BEST personalities, calm, sweet, and fluffy puffy bodies...I miss my girls back home!!!!

Well you will have a loooong winter to figure out what breeds you want to get next spring!
Here's a few pics of my guys I just took. They are 4 1/2 months old now. What age were your Cochin's when they started laying? I have heard they are slow starters.

Harley-barred cochin rooster

Sophie and Blue (one light grey and one very dark)

Liza (jet black)

Lola (same colouring as Sophie but lighter overall)

Elvis and his blue suede shoes-rooster still in that awkward stage!

The gunk on their beaks and faces is just wet chicken feed lol. Their fav treat!

My Cochin was bantams, and they started laying at 7-8months I think. I feed high quality feed, a mix of beans and peas that we slow cook on the stove, and kitchen scraps. They are also free ranged in the backyard where its 90% Bermuda grass.

I think this combination of food sources makes them lay early? They also lay throughout winter. We have a 8 or 9 year old hen now that lays once a month or two months a few eggs at a time. It is very strange, as her comb now is mostly "caulky" looking then when she is going to start laying, her comb and waddle go bright red.

Back
Top Bottom