Wanting Granny's chicken dinner flavor!!!

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I miss the flavor of Granny's chicken dinners. Also my aunts chicken and dumplings/noodles. They have long passed away, but the memories linger.
sad.png

If I raise my own Meaties will they be close to the flavor I'm craving? Will they have that visible yellow skin/fat? Store bought chicken just doesn't do it anymore.

I would like to order for this fall. I have room for 50 to 75. But if there going to taste like store bought why bother. Please help so I can justify ordering that many to DH.

Last edited:
Granny probably butchered a few of her older roos or nonlaying hens for that flavor and fat
smile.png
You can get meaties and they will be better than store bought, but for the super strong "chicken" flavor, you may have to sacrifice some more time for slower growing breeds. It's worth it though!

54632_chickendinner.jpg

This guy made the most delicious buttery, yellow broth with nothing else in the pan but....water. He was a 15 week old SLW rooster that was a bully.

This is a cool article too, might help you.
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The article helped to clear things up.
Would there happen to be any chicken and potatoes left?
Were there any biscuits and gravy with that chicken?
wink.png

Quote:
What little chicken was left was made into very yummy chicken salad sandwiches the next day, the gravy and potatoes were allllll gone by the end of dinner! Not much was left of him!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom