Wanting to hatch chicks with a broody

No it won't stop her broodiness if she has settled for the long haul and it sounds as if she has. But you probably don't need to get her off as she is getting off herself. I just remove mine because I feed twice a day not all day and want to make sure they get their share.

When I have a mama hen with babies I have them in a separate coop with a plastic mesh run that the flock can see them in but not get to them. If the hen is doing a good job of looking after them I begin letting them out to range with the flock at 3 weeks after hatch. They still sleep in the separate coop with their mama. I have had no issues with integration or reintegration this way, and my hens keep their places in the order, probably because mama hens are very savage beasties. And I mean savage. Be careful messing with the chicks. I had to treat a sick chick once and the mama hen came at my face with a running leap.
Ohh i see ill just let her be for now then. Ill try putting her in with the flock separated by mesh.

Also i have a problem, she seems to have one of the eggs sticking out almost halfway. Are 4 large eggs too much for her? If so i will move it to the bator.

Ohh i see ill just let her be for now then. Ill try putting her in with the flock separated by mesh.

Also i have a problem, she seems to have one of the eggs sticking out almost halfway. Are 4 large eggs too much for her? If so i will move it to the bator.

She will move the eggs around under her and rotate them. You could tuck it back under her but she will probably get to it herself. 4 eggs should be fine for her unless she is extremely tiny. Bantams can usually manage 6-8 standard eggs (although not 8 standard size chicks once they get a bit bigger!) And standard size hens 10-12. I tend to set less eggs and definitely less when it's the first time. My hens get 5 for their first time and 8-9 after that, standard size hens.

She will move the eggs around under her and rotate them. You could tuck it back under her but she will probably get to it herself. 4 eggs should be fine for her unless she is extremely tiny. Bantams can usually manage 6-8 standard eggs (although not 8 standard size chicks once they get a bit bigger!) And standard size hens 10-12. I tend to set less eggs and definitely less when it's the first time. My hens get 5 for their first time and 8-9 after that, standard size hens.
She actually tucked it back in, maybe im just being too paranoid. she is not that small of a bantam so im guessing she can keep them under her just fine. i've set up a camera to watch if she is eating and drinking and everything seems to be going okay. i moved the feeder and waterer near her.

Candled today and at least 3 of the eggs have growth :wee. 4 of them are very dark so i cant see anything just yet. the ones with a detached/wobbly aircell didn't develop (probably for the better). The broody lets me handle her eggs no problem, even from under her. I think it is because she was a human imprinted chick that i hatched out myself.

I have taken out one undeveloped egg under her and given her 3 more from the bator so she is now sitting on 6 eggs. Im hoping they all hatch and i get to see her with some chicks.

Im not sure if it is trust but she tried to peck me when i was about to candle the eggs under her, but after i started talking she stopped and let me lift her up and check the eggs. Maybe she knows ill just end up putting more eggs under her. Here she is!
6E907871-4F9A-4DDD-AB0C-011A41C36028.jpeg

59FBF1F7-38B4-46ED-BF29-C8F786BF59CC.jpeg

It’s day 20 and theres a pip! I picked up this particular egg up when she was eating (the pip was upsidedown) and it doesn’t seem like it is moving or peeping in the span of 30 mins, is this normal for broody hen eggs, since my bator eggs usually peep and shake like crazy. Her eggs smell so bad! She has been pooping on them. Im hoping this is normal and I get to see chicks tomorrow.

So i will not be having these chicks for long as my coop is almost full and im looking into hatching out some silkies next year. A friend of mine will happily take them in both the pullets or cockerels, but they will be free ranging them.

They should preferably be sort of wild as neighbors might steal them if they aren't. all of the chicks i raise are very tamed and will follow people around especially the broody that is brooding these eggs. how do i make sure that they won't be attached to people even if their mom is? just running away if trying to be picked up not really wild like running far away from people.

So i will not be having these chicks for long as my coop is almost full and im looking into hatching out some silkies next year. A friend of mine will happily take them in both the pullets or cockerels, but they will be free ranging them.

They should preferably be sort of wild as neighbors might steal them if they aren't. all of the chicks i raise are very tamed and will follow people around especially the broody that is brooding these eggs. how do i make sure that they won't be attached to people even if their mom is? just running away if trying to be picked up not really wild like running far away from people.
Chicks tend to take on quite a bit of the temperament of their mother. Your best bet is to not handle them much and just provide their food and water. They could still end up pretty friendly, but that will likely change when they move to your friends place.

Back
Top Bottom