Warm Recipes for Cold Days

KentuckyMom

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Foster, Kentucky
Feel free to add more recipes as these cold days continue on (and on and on...
roll.png
)

Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili
makes 8 servings

1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into chunks
16 oz. jar of thick and chunky salsa
1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
1-1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
sour cream

1) Combine all ingredients except sour cream in slow cooker.
2) Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until pork is tender.
3) Garnish individual servings with sour cream

Baked Cinnamon Apples
serves 8
10 apples, cored,peeled, and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1 dash salt
1 dash nutmeg

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Place cut and peeled apples in a bowl and gently mix all ingredients together.
3) Put apples in a pan, cover, and place in the oven.
4) Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
5) Once they are soft, you can cook for another few minutes to thicken the sauce.

Beef and Sausage stuffed French Loaf

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (Our herb beds have miraculously survived ice/freezing temps this year)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, minced

In a skillet, brown beef, sausage and onion; drain. Cut off ends of loaf; set ends aside. Hollow out center of loaf with a long serrated bread knife, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. In a food processor or blender, process bread crumbs until coarse; set aside 1 cup. (Discard remaining crumbs or save for another use.) Stir in reserved crumbs, cheese, egg, parsley, mustard, pepper, salt and fennel; mix well. Spoon meat mixture into shell; replace loaf ends, securing with wooden toothpicks. Melt butter in saucepan. Add garlic; cook about 1 minute. Brush butter mixture over loaf. Wrap loaf in aluminum foil, leaving open slightly on top; place loaf on baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until loaf is heated and cheese melts.

This one is going on the table tonight!

Soy Balsamic Slow Cooker Chicken
2-3 pounds bone- in chicken
1 whole onion, sliced into rings
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic,minced
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup chicken broth
Chives
Rice
1) Place chicken and onion in slow cooker.
2) Pour soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Worchestershire sauce,
bay leaves, garlic, and pepper into cooker. Stir to coat
chicken.
3) Add brown sugar, cornstarch, and chicken broth. Stir again.
4) Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Break up and shred chicken.
5) Serve over rice. Garnish with chives.

Beef veggie stew. I don't give amounts, use whatever amount you'd usually use to feed your family, or if you're like me, whatever fits in the pot!

Brown ground beef with chopped onion and some garlic. Chop carrots, potatoes, celery, add to pot and cook about 5-10 min. Sprinkle with flour--maybe 1/4 cup? and stir and cook well, like making a roux. Depending on the level of fat in your ground beef, you may need to add some fat. Add about 6 cups water or beef broth. If using water, I add some bullion. I then add a can of each corn and peas. Whatever other veggie you'd like--I've been using dehydrated yellow crookneck squash. Salt, pepper, granulated onion and garlic, Worcestershire sauce, a drop or two of liquid smoke. Add water/broth as needed. Simmer 20 min or so, until veggies are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Continue to simmer, if desired, for an hour or so. It just gets better. Also--much better the next day!

Cheesy garlic breadsticks *warning, these are like crack if you're a bread-a-holic*

8x11 pan. Unwrap a cube of butter in pan, set in the oven while preheating to 425.

Mix 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp granulated onion, and a few shakes Italian seasoning. Add 1 cup milk and mix to a soft ball. Turn dough on floured counter and knead approx. 10 times, until smooth. let rest--usually this is when the butter is melted, so pull your pan out of the oven. I put 1 tsp minced garlic in the butter, and since I'm not skeered of salt I also put a few shakes on the butter as well.
Go back to your dough. Lightly roll out to about the same size as your pan---it will be thick. Cut into strips--I use a pizza cutter. Lay strips of dough on melted butter/garlic/salt. Shred cheese on top of strips--cheddar, cojack, whatever you've got. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 min--18 min is the magic time for me. Let set a few minutes after taking out to soak up all the buttery goodness. Try not to moan when you eat them, and don't burn your tongue!

Beef and Sausage stuffed French Loaf

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (Our herb beds have miraculously survived ice/freezing temps this year)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, minced

In a skillet, brown beef, sausage and onion; drain. Cut off ends of loaf; set ends aside. Hollow out center of loaf with a long serrated bread knife, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. In a food processor or blender, process bread crumbs until coarse; set aside 1 cup. (Discard remaining crumbs or save for another use.) Stir in reserved crumbs, cheese, egg, parsley, mustard, pepper, salt and fennel; mix well. Spoon meat mixture into shell; replace loaf ends, securing with wooden toothpicks. Melt butter in saucepan. Add garlic; cook about 1 minute. Brush butter mixture over loaf. Wrap loaf in aluminum foil, leaving open slightly on top; place loaf on baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until loaf is heated and cheese melts.

This one is going on the table tonight!
How is this to serve? Does the meat mixture hold together pretty well for slicing, or is it more of a spoon type thing? Sorry, not good at visualization sometimes.

It holds together pretty well. I slice it into sections and place on a platter. Each section makes a "sandwich". -husband and kids love this stuff.

Onion Baked Chicken
serves 8
1 TBSP. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves, lightly crushed
3 -3 1/2 lbs. chicken parts
1 TBSP oil
--Mix onion powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and thyme in a small bowl. Place chicken in a shallow baking pan. Brush with oil. Coat chicken evenly with seasoning mixture. Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

** This recipe is nice because I usually have everything on hand.
smile.png

Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Potatoes

2 lbs. red potatoes (4-5 large), unpeeled
2 garlic cloves pressed or minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
--Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; cut each half into 4 wedges. Place wedges in an 11" x 15" bar pan. Press or sprinkle the garlic over the potatoes; sprinkle with cheese, rosemary , and salt. Drizzle with olive oil, tossing to coat evenly. Spread potatoes in a single layer over bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes. Turn potatoes; continue baking 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown and tender.

Brownies

1 1/4 cups margarine or butter
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa
--Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter or margarine and add cocoa; mix. Stir in sugar and blend in the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Stir in flower; mix well.
Bake in a greased 9" x 13" pan for 30 minutes. Let cool on rack, 20- 30 minutes.
** These make a cake-like brownie. If you want it more "gooey-like" only use 3 eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom