Warm Recipes for Cold Days

Cincinnati Style Chili
16 servings

1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. whole allspice
1/2 tsp. whole cloves
-Make a spice bag with these by wrapping in cheesecloth and tying with a string.

2 pounds ground beef( I have used ground venison too!)
2 cups chopped onions
1- 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
3 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cloves garlic, minced

- In a large skillet cook ground beef until browned. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a slow cooker.
-Stir onions, kidney beans, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, and salt into cooker. Put in spice bag.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-5 hours.
- Remove spice bag.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti, sprinkled with cheddar cheese.
* Note: When I didn't have the whole cloves and allspice on hand, I just mixed in ground allspice and ground cloves right into the chili. I didn't notice a real difference either way!*

Egg Drop Soup

INGREDIENTS
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

Directions

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork. Drizzle egg a little at a time from the fork into the boiling broth mixture. Egg should cook immediately. Once the eggs have been dropped, stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.

I made mine with a twist. I added a couple cups of sweet peas and some shrimp. ;)

Quick Chicken Parmesan

serves 4

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
4 cups hot spaghetti
Place chicken in 2 quart shallow baking dish. Top with spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done. Serve with spaghetti.
* I usually double or triple the recipe. This is good to take for lunch the next day too!

So Good Apple Dumplins'
* I copied this recipe from the Cincinnati Enquirer a few years ago. The Mountain Dew sounded strange to me but these were delicious!

2 cans, 10 ounces each, crescent rolls
2 large Granny Smith apples
1 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
12 ounce can of Mountain Dew

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, sugar, and cinnamon and put into a 9" x 13" pan. Core and peel apples. Cut each apple into 8 wedges; wrap apple slice in crescent roll wedge, carefully covering the entire apple piece. Pinch openings. Put into pan on top of cinnamon, sugar, and butter mixture. Pour Mountain Dew over dumplings and bake about 40 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.
tongue.png

Grandma’s Chicken Gumbo
Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and about 1 cup of oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best, if you want to make you own but don't know how...Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.)

1 gallon of water
1 large hen (an old hen makes the best gumbo)
6 chicken bullion cubes
1 pound of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper (Chopped)
2 stalks celery (Chopped)
3 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.

With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.

Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Guinea foul and wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant, ect. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.

Serve over rice in soup bowls.

Creamy Potato Soup

serves 8-10

7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 celery ribs
1 medium onion , chopped
1 quart water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 4 cubes
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 quart milk
Sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits for topping (optional)

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water , and bouillon; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly.
Place half of the potato mixture in a blender or food processor and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Set aside.
In the same kettle , melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for two minutes.
Return potato puree to pan and heat through.
Garnish individual servings with sour cream, cheese, ans bacon bits if desired.

Seven Layer Salad

1 head lettuce
1 red or green pepper, chopped
10 oz. frozen peas
1 1/2- 2 cups mayonnaise
1 TBSP sugar ( sprinkle on top of mayonnaise layer
6 slices fried bacon, crumbled
8 oz. shredded cheddar

Layer ingredients in a large bowl or 9" x 13" glass pan as given above.

Pecan Pie

1 pie crust
2 cups pecans
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup margarine , softened

Mix all ingredients except pecans until foamy.
Pour into pie crust.
Place pecans on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.

Cheesy Cream of Vegetable Soup

8 cups water
6 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups diced potatoes
3 cans (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 lb .frozen or full head of broccoli and cauliflower
2 lb. box of Velveeta, cubed

Heat water and bouillon cubes until dissolved.
Add diced vegetables; cook until tender.
Add cream of chicken soup until well mixed.
Add broccoli and cauliflower.
Add cheese until melted.

*This makes a lot! Two crock pots full! *

Pineapple-Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups zucchini, peeled,grated, and drained
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup - 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and oil until fluffy; add zucchini.
Combine all dry ingredients and add to egg mixture, mixing well.
Stir in pineapple and nuts.
Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans.
Bake in 325 degree oven 60 minutes or until bread tests done. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely before slicing.

Egg Drop Soup

INGREDIENTS
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

Directions

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork. Drizzle egg a little at a time from the fork into the boiling broth mixture. Egg should cook immediately. Once the eggs have been dropped, stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.

I made mine with a twist. I added a couple cups of sweet peas and some shrimp. ;)[/quote

I have never eaten Egg Drop Soup before. I tried this recipe tonight for dinner! How can a recipe with such simple ingredients be so amazing? The kids really liked it too!

Back
Top Bottom