Warning about live traps

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Live trapping an animal (raccoon, possum, groundhog, etc.) may not be as humane as you think! I found out the hard way today. Death by 'lead poisoning' would have been much kinder. šŸ˜¢

I have(had?) a groundhog problem and a huge vegetable garden (or what little is left of it!). I wanted the varmint GONE. Today. I know many folks swear by live trapping an animal and then releasing it somewhere else, but be sure you monitor the trap! (More on that below)

I normally hesitate only a little to shoot or otherwise kill a varmint destroying my garden or chasing chickens - I don't relocate to give the problem to someone else - but I wanted to be sure I could get a kill shot and not just injure the critter to suffer and die slowly. So last night I set a wire box trap near the main entrance to its tunnel system, baited it with cabbage, apple slices, carrots, and a bit of canned peaches in syrup. This morning, nothing. Adjusted the trigger a little, and went on about my merry way today.

This afternoon I come home to find a dead groundhog in the trap. YAY!!! I thought. I don't even have to shoot it! But why dead already? Then I saw. Blood everywhere. All over the cage, covering the inside of the trap door, soaking the ground..... It had clawed and chewed so hard on the trap that I believe it either bled to death or died of pure panic and shock.

Heat and sun might have been a contributing factor. I had set the trap in a little thicket of tall grass facing the burrow. There would have been little air movement. In full sun, 93-94 degrees, and humid. Strangely, when I carefully grabbed a handful of fur to lift the critter off the ground, its skin peeled apart in my hand - like thin tissue paper. Sorry so gross, but I wanted everyone to understand what happened to that poor animal because I did not monitor the trap to dispatch it quickly and humanely.

It suffered a horrendous and painful death. I'm so sorry.

Below are photos of only the burrow entrance, and the baited trap. Nothing graphic.

1656628128179.png
1656628157127.png

About 6 hours, give or take.
You did nothing wrong. Sounds like the little guy wasn't in very good condition before going into the trap.
I've let many a chuck and coon out of live traps that my clients have set, and left them set after going back to the city for the week. I get there to mow the lawn, and find a poor critter that is emaciated and not looking good at all after 2+ day in the trap.

We seldom use traps, most troublesome critters meet a quick end either by 22 or dog at our place. When we have used traps I always go and trip them around 9 AM to avoid that heat of the day issue, then go reset them in the early evening. I'm surprised it's skin would be sloughing off in just 6 hours, that's really sad.

That's not normal skin, that critter had issues already, and still very sad.
We had a ground hog actually make a hole in the end of a live trap large enough to get out! Fortunately we were able to get him another da.
And we too set the traps in shade, and mostly in the evening.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom