Warning: Chased chickens can make un-chicken-like noises

All Ball

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2013
El Sobrante, CA
One of my hens did not make it in before the auto door closed last night, and the unfortunate incident taught me a couple things I thought worth sharing:

1. A chicken being chased in the middle of the night may make noises that sound like a mammal.

I feel really horrible that I thought, when loud noises woke me up at 2 a.m., that there was a fight going on, or an owl chasing a small possum, or something along those lines...she was yelling but just did not sound like a chicken.

Thankfully, when I checked out the yells a few hours later, she had managed not to be bloodied by the the cat or skunk chasing her... no thanks to me.

2. Some chickens can run through the chicken yard on a moonless night.

I had expected that chickens would be blind and dazed at night.
She was running so fast that in my weak flashlight she looked like a very large rodent or a small cat....I have no idea how she could have accomplished that without crashing into things, but she did and managed to save herself (I hope - hope there were no internal injuries - she is exhausted and has slept all day).

I am betting something did have hold of your bird and caused significant damage. Squawling is where the chicken effectively screams bloody murder. The screaming sometimes calls in a second predator that disturbs first increasing odds chicken can escape. You were the second predator and it worked.

Ah, thanks for the definition. Yes, that sounds like her technique, and she is very vocal and loud in general.

Well, she was doing much better yesterday, wolfed down a bunch of food and water, so I thought she was out of shock. Today she is much quieter - I am guessing all the food may have affected her bruised body. She is acting more normal though - I think she ran into something in the dark and may have had a concussion, as she was quite dazed the first couple days.

Poor thing is right - she's had a hard life, as she hatched with some slight defects that don't really affect her health but make her siblings treat her as "different" and "weird."

I'm crossing my fingers for her.

Glad she is alright after that ordeal! We had a possum get in with the chickens when I was younger and the sound the hen made could only be described as "shrieking woman"

Back
Top Bottom