Warning, graphic photo - My chicken was attacked, wounded and not sure how this will turn out.

Oh my gosh, so sorry!

Hopefully, our resident experts stop in to give advice as I've not dealt with anything this bad.

For starters, I know I'd want to get her on antibiotics if she's got a puncture wound from a dog as infection will probably start in there. If you can at least have your vet do that for you until you can get an appt in case it's a week from now.

Electrolytes would help her as she's most likely in shock. If you don't have any, you can make some easy enough. If you can get her to eat something, scrambled eggs or tuna she'd probably like, or just make mash out of her feed with some water.

I think what you are doing for her is about the best thing for her right now. I hope pulls through!
Thank you 😊

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didn’t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

The backyard is a very different place now.

Here’s a few photos in better times for anyone interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgGxeU8Wpi5KioK59

Take care and thanks again.
:hugsI'm sorry to about Iris, thank you for letting us know and for sharing the sweet photos of Iris and her friends, just lovely.

I did manage to get her into a vet hospital the next morning and had a wonderful Dr. who specialized in farm animals. She did the best she could and at one point there was reason for optimism, even scheduling for surgery if she stabilized but sadly in the end, Iris didn’t make it.

I grew up on a hobby farm so I understand these things happen, but this one hits hard. We raised them from when they hatched and were a big part of our life. Iris was the leader, had a fierce and commanding personality. She was best friend to our Newfie, loved car rides and snuggles.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful and clearly a loving (and well-loved) bird. Thank you for sharing photos. We had a tough week with a chicken. It helped me to see how well-cared for your chickens are.

Sorry to chime-in right here; please forgive me, I’m just quite curious… Eggs are still viable for hatching after refrigeration? And, for how long? (And, only if Iris “did” have a Rooster friend, BTW) 😉
They were about two weeks or a tish older. I can't recall exactly, but only know I had been saving to set eggs and didn't want my fresher ones to be over two weeks old. I was shy about 6 eggs from having two dozen (just a few silkie hens were laying). I grabbed 8 from the fridge. I marked them so I'd know. 5 of 8 hatched. That's a crappy hatch rate, but not if you consider they came from the fridge and were at least two weeks old.

Omigosh! Thank you for sharing these happy photos! — I know your entire family is a mess right now and that includes any backyard family members!
Our deepest condolences 💐; We hope these photos and her memories comfort you as you’re grieving her.

Fly high, Sweet girl ♥️♥️♥️!!!

So sorry for your loss of Iris. 💔

If you have some of her eggs you could hatch them in her memory, even if they're in the fridge. Thank you for sharing pictures. I loved the one of her in your hoody.
Sorry to chime-in right here; please forgive me, I’m just quite curious… Eggs are still viable for hatching after refrigeration? And, for how long? (And, only if Iris “did” have a Rooster friend, BTW) 😉

Back
Top Bottom