Was a nail biter, but my order from Meyer arrived this afternoon

Pics

SB16

Chirping
May 31, 2020
Houston
I'm well pleased with Meyer Hatchery.

I normally get my chicks from a local re-seller who orders from at least Cackle, Ideal and Hoover's, that I know of, but this time I wanted to avoid paying the 300% markup, so ordered directly from the hatchery.

5 Exchequer Leghorns
3 EE's
10 Rare breed assortment
1 Barred Rock Mealmaker
They threw in an extra chick.

Shipped on Tuesday the 7th from Ohio and somehow made it to me, south of Houston, this afternoon (9th) in good health, despite the blistering heatwave we're having. They are active, vibrant and eating and drinking well.

None of the Rare Breeds are banded. I believe one is a White Cochin and one may be a Splash/Blue Cochin, but otherwise, I'm at a complete loss as to what they've sent me. Steel Egger... Lavender Orpington? Who knows... I suspect they aren't so rare.

I typically agonize over which breeds I'm getting and have a collection of sorts, but I'm handling the not knowing pretty well. Though, I am worried that the Cochins, if they're Cochins, won't fare well here.

In truth, I had tried to order specific pullets from Meyer for the past few weeks, but their website was borked. The shopping cart kept flipping numbers - I contacted the hatchery through chat. They said it was on my end, so I tried every computer, laptop, phone and iPad I had access to, installed Chrome, emptied my cache... Nada I knew it was on their end. It was finally working for me this past weekend, but by then everything I wanted, save for the Exchequers, were sold out... So Rare Assortment it was.

In comparison, my feed store received a box of dead Turkey poults from Ideal this morning. Ideal is in Cameron, TX and they were apparently shipped just yesterday.

I'll definitely order from Meyer again.

Attachments

• 65292122977__BA30ECD0-4E26-466F-A5DF-F145009976FF.JPG
    65292122977__BA30ECD0-4E26-466F-A5DF-F145009976FF.JPG
    707.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    747.7 KB · Views: 55
I'm well pleased with Meyer Hatchery.

I normally get my chicks from a local re-seller who orders from at least Cackle, Ideal and Hoover's, that I know of, but this time I wanted to avoid paying the 300% markup, so ordered directly from the hatchery.

5 Exchequer Leghorns
3 EE's
10 Rare breed assortment
1 Barred Rock Mealmaker
They threw in an extra chick.

Shipped on Tuesday the 7th from Ohio and somehow made it to me, south of Houston, this afternoon (9th) in good health, despite the blistering heatwave we're having. They are active, vibrant and eating and drinking well.

None of the Rare Breeds are banded. I believe one is a White Cochin and one may be a Splash/Blue Cochin, but otherwise, I'm at a complete loss as to what they've sent me. Steel Egger... Lavender Orpington? Who knows... I suspect they aren't so rare.

I typically agonize over which breeds I'm getting and have a collection of sorts, but I'm handling the not knowing pretty well. Though, I am worried that the Cochins, if they're Cochins, won't fare well here.

In truth, I had tried to order specific pullets from Meyer for the past few weeks, but their website was borked. The shopping cart kept flipping numbers - I contacted the hatchery through chat. They said it was on my end, so I tried every computer, laptop, phone and iPad I had access to, installed Chrome, emptied my cache... Nada I knew it was on their end. It was finally working for me this past weekend, but by then everything I wanted, save for the Exchequers, were sold out... So Rare Assortment it was.

In comparison, my feed store received a box of dead Turkey poults from Ideal this morning. Ideal is in Cameron, TX and they were apparently shipped just yesterday.

I'll definitely order from Meyer again.
Congrats! They are so cute!! 😍 I am happy that they all came alive and well!:clap

Thank you! The chicks went to 3 different USPS distribution centers, all within driving distance of me, yesterday. I wish there was a way I could have intercepted them when they first got to Houston. It was maddening watching the tracking.

Anyway... They all made it through the night.

I was a little worried. I've always used a Titan brooder plate with my chicks and have even lent it out to friends who have used it with great success, but in a moment of panic, I bought a Producer's Pride plate from TS on Tuesday. I have both plates in the brooder, but was worried the PP would fail. It apparently worked well, although, in comparison to the Titan, the adjustable legs are very short. It's larger than the Titan and was only $41, though, so it's a good option for hatchlings.

I think this is a Cochin. Very heavily feathered legs, no band and no extra toe. This is going to drive me crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 48
Thank you! The chicks went to 3 different USPS distribution centers, all within driving distance of me, yesterday. I wish there was a way I could have intercepted them when they first got to Houston. It was maddening watching the tracking.

Anyway... They all made it through the night.

I was a little worried. I've always used a Titan brooder plate with my chicks and have even lent it out to friends who have used it with great success, but in a moment of panic, I bought a Producer's Pride plate from TS on Tuesday. I have both plates in the brooder, but was worried the PP would fail. It apparently worked well, although, in comparison to the Titan, the adjustable legs are very short. It's larger than the Titan and was only $41, though, so it's a good option for hatchlings.

I think this is a Cochin. Very heavily feathered legs, no band and no extra toe. This is going to drive me crazy.
Awww how cute! We have a PP plate as a backup for adding a second group of chicks while brooding with our other one, I was worried too & checked it like 50 times a day but it worked great!

I'm looking forward to future pics. I'd like to keep up with how your cochins(?) do in Texas.

I've often been tempted to get them, as Ideal (I drive to pick up my Ideal chicks..so no usps)
has so many different colors. So far my fuzzy foots have been langshan and brahma and few mixed breed chicks.

I'll keep an eye out for future posts and pics. Good luck with your new flock members!

Awww how cute! We have a PP plate as a backup for adding a second group of chicks while brooding with our other one, I was worried too & checked it like 50 times a day but it worked great!
Very happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing! You quite probably saved me from scorching my hand again.

I'm looking forward to future pics. I'd like to keep up with how your cochins(?) do in Texas.

I've often been tempted to get them, as Ideal (I drive to pick up my Ideal chicks..so no usps)
has so many different colors. So far my fuzzy foots have been langshan and brahma and few mixed breed chicks.

I'll keep an eye out for future posts and pics. Good luck with your new flock members!

Hold a good thought for the Cochins please. Aside from the heat, I've got a breeding population of huge Cooper's hawks in my woods. Large, slow moving white chickens... Lord help me.

I desperately wanted a Langshan! I envy you.

I believe my Australorps came from Ideal - I have a blue and a black - they're my favorite girls. Beautiful with great personalities. You're so fortunate to live within driving distance of the hatchery.

I think I have 2 Cuckoo Marans. Lightly feathered legs on both. I briefly thought the second one (last two photos) was Blue Cuckoo, but no leg band.

God, I hope they're not roosters.

I wanted another Marans hen, but was hesitating because of the last 3 Marans pullets I ordered, 2 turned out to be roosters. I was willing to risk it for a Splash Marans, but not for a Cuckoo. I already have a Blue Cuckoo Marans rooster...

And the plot thickens... I just contacted Meyer and the chicks in the rare breed assortments that are normally banded aren't always banded.

"They can be banded, but they aren't always banded with assortments"

I have no idea what I have. Why did I do this to myself? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 31