Was the killer a racoon?

We are going into a warming trend. Not sure what state your in. When real cold coon den up, just like bears. racoon are not true hibernators, but after a point when the temperature drops coon can go inactive and sleep prolonged periods of time and live from stored fat. Actually it is a dormancy state called torpor.
As mentioned by someone else I put my traps away from where I keep my chickens, no use drawing more predators to your chickens. The racoon will find the traps and bait.
I use 1 1/2 leg traps when needed than shoot them in head.
Racoon will travel in family packs, not always, but very common.
Last year I had some trouble makers. Lost about 30 chickens 1 night. I trapped about 5 or 6..dont remember. Everything settled down.

Get a game camera. No doubt your trouble makers will be back, they know where chicken dinner is now. From your description I think your dealing with a family pack. 3 chickens gone.

Sorry for your loss, good luck.
Thank you so much for the insight! It's warming up this week and will be almost 60F on Friday. I am going to quirt some fresh syrup on there today and hope we catch them.
Question tho, are they smart enough to not come back if one is trapped? Like if there is a family running loose, will they realize Uncle Henry is trapped and not fall for the same trick? Or should I move the trap each time I catch one?

Question tho, are they smart enough to not come back if one is trapped? Like if there is a family running loose, will they realize Uncle Henry is trapped and not fall for the same trick? Or should I move the trap each time I catch one?
I honestly don't know, because I never tried to catch them... it never crossed my mind. 😅 I really hope that you can catch them. Ever since I lost four guineas to coons, I cheer and scream with delight whenever I come across a flat one on the road 😳😅 And that is coming from an animal lover 😳😅🤣 I am very sorry that they got your chickens. I will pray that you catch the coons.

Thank you so much for the insight! It's warming up this week and will be almost 60F on Friday. I am going to quirt some fresh syrup on there today and hope we catch them.
yes and no from my experience. few years ago I had trouble with about 7 of them. They can be very persistent. as long as they know there is a food source they like to eat they will come back.
To answer your question I killed 6 out of 7,the biggest smartest, I figure grandpa Henry got away never came back to my knowledge. I shot at him and missed, big buck coon.
If you block them from the food source eventually they will move on. Like I said they can be very persistent.
I have caught coon in the same trap night after night. Now I use a leg trap and not a live trap. I have never used a live trap. I do notice there is very good comments from people which have used them.
The biggest thing is you need to predator proof your area where you keep the chickens. Even if you get rid of the the trouble makers you only solve a long term problem temporarily. Killing the trouble makers might make you feel better, but only takes you back to where you started. You need to fix the problem. There will be more trouble makers.

No. I use the same trap sites all the time. I couldn’t even tell you how many we’ve caught. Actually bought a little .22 revolver that is our designated “coon gun”.
Another bait option is chicken feed. We’ve used it a bunch with a lot of success.

No. I use the same trap sites all the time. I couldn’t even tell you how many we’ve caught. Actually bought a little .22 revolver that is our designated “coon gun”.
Another bait option is chicken feed. We’ve used it a bunch with a lot of success.
Thank you! I'll try that too. I have the chicken body, marshmallows, and syrup all over the trap. But haven't caught anything yet. I'll dump some chicken food and cat food over there today

Back
Top Bottom