Washing eggs question

My eggs go straight in the fridge as-is (I have a hard time getting through eggs, so counter storage is out of the question). If you wipe or wash, then they should be refrigerated because you're damaging or removing the protective bloom that naturally keeps bacteria out.

I don't wash eggs 95% of the time, even if there is some soiling on it... I only wash them if I'm boiling them because I don't like things floating around in the cooking water.

If an egg is really soiled, I'll fry it up for the dogs. Same with any eggs from my oldest hens, as the quality of the yolks and whites are poor.

I have wondered about this myself. I lucked out BIG TIME, and all 14 lay in the laying boxes with me as Mama hen. The boxes are always clean (yay)! They make cute little nests from the straw, and it gets changed twice a week. I rarely have anything other than a bit of straw or a tiny feather on my eggs. We're safe to not wash, sterilize, and bleach them before cracking? Are the brown organic $9 a dozen grocery store eggs washed (I am presuming so). Darling Hubby the Farmboy wants to know why they cost so much, then?
I would just pick off the straw and random feather. There is no reason whatsoever to bleach or sterilize an egg before cracking it open. The bloom on the egg(before it's washed) is nature's way of keeping the inside contents clean. Think about it, the egg inside could become a chick if it were fertilized and brooded. And not every broody hen lays clean eggs so the contents inside stay clean from the bloom. If you want to wash the egg before cracking it, that's fine. Just wash with plain water and either store the egg in the fridge or use it right away. I've washed eggs before but they have to be pretty dirty for me to wash them. Poopy or muddy. And I will wash eggs before I hard boil them. Organic or regular eggs from the store have been washed already. And organic costs more because, ideally, the chickens are fed an organic diet. Does it matter for eggs? That's up to you. If I buy eggs at the store, I do not buy organic personally. I buy Eggland's Best. But I much prefer my fresh farm eggs

I would just pick off the straw and random feather. There is no reason whatsoever to bleach or sterilize an egg before cracking it open. The bloom on the egg(before it's washed) is nature's way of keeping the inside contents clean. Think about it, the egg inside could become a chick if it were fertilized and brooded. And not every broody hen lays clean eggs so the contents inside stay clean from the bloom. If you want to wash the egg before cracking it, that's fine. Just wash with plain water and either store the egg in the fridge or use it right away. I've washed eggs before but they have to be pretty dirty for me to wash them. Poopy or muddy. And I will wash eggs before I hard boil them. Organic or regular eggs from the store have been washed already. And organic costs more because, ideally, the chickens are fed an organic diet. Does it matter for eggs? That's up to you. If I buy eggs at the store, I do not buy organic personally. I buy Eggland's Best. But I much prefer my fresh farm eggs
I give a lot of mine away, and have told people that they're fresh and safe to keep unrefrigerated for a few weeks (if they want). A few of my friends who buy get Eggsland's Best. I get the empty cartons. What is different about them?
I make my dog's food, so he gets eggs. I love baking, and some of my girls look promising for being Moms this spring, if desired.
The fresh eggs are definitely best! I am partial to the chicken cuddles, too. I was shocked, one of the leghorns jumped in my lap today. Is it a full moon?

I give a lot of mine away, and have told people that they're fresh and safe to keep unrefrigerated for a few weeks (if they want). A few of my friends who buy get Eggsland's Best. I get the empty cartons. What is different about them?
I make my dog's food, so he gets eggs. I love baking, and some of my girls look promising for being Moms this spring, if desired.
The fresh eggs are definitely best! I am partial to the chicken cuddles, too. I was shocked, one of the leghorns jumped in my lap today. Is it a full moon?
If I had to buy eggs, Eggland's best is the best to me because they have higher amounts of Omega 3. But farm fresh is always the best, hands down

Back
Top Bottom