Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

HELLOOO Washington! :D I'm in Kitsap County and would love to find chicken friends. I've only got my our two girls so far. We started with a couple of started pullets who have just started laying--or supposedly. Alice, who we were told was an "Americauna" but don't they lay blue/bluish eggs? Alice's are large, very light olive, and SHE lays almost every day. Then we've got Lucille "Lucy," who is a cukoo (sp?) Marans and who either hasn't actually started laying yet, or has gone on strike since we got her. She's quite friendly, though, so I may overlook her nonlaying at least for a while yet. The original plan was 6, but I lost my nerve and decided definitely only 4, because I knew husband did NOT want "dirty birds" on the property. Well, FINE. Our birds won't be dirty then! Only, I realized it might be easier to guarantee a super clean coop if we only start out with 2 birds. So, this way we at least get a chance to how we like it, and if it turns out we all just can't stand chickens, there will be fewer to rehome. (at least, that's how I convinced husband, but we all know how chicken math works, don't we?! LOL) In Spring, we'll hopefully add two high-yielders--thinking gold star or gingernut ranger, and maybe a leghorn, just so I can keep easy track of which girls are laying and which aren't. Every site I find online considers gold stars/red stars the same as gingernut rangers, but a local chicken lady I met here, has both gold stars AND gingernut rangers, and you can definitely see they're different breeds, or else completely different lines at least; different coloring and (her) gingers are larger--both prolific layers. She ran out of both this fall before I had my coop up and ready, or else I had planned on getting mine from her. She also is trying to get a cream legbar line going, so this Spring...who knows. But for now, WE HAVE BIRDS! Even the dog is learning to tolerate these feathered intruders in her yard, as long as we keep tossing her ball for her while we tend the birds.

^^^^ lol I mean PEOPLE friends who love chickens.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom