Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We have gone 4 days with out an egg from our BO and still nothing from the other gals. I refuse to buy eggs...im fine with slowing in the winter months but sad if they stop producing all together.

I have a chicken who may have wry neck, and I was wondering what is the best way to treat it? Is wry neck always obvious? I heard that vitamin E capsules help. Any ideas?

I have a chicken who may have wry neck, and I was wondering what is the best way to treat it? Is wry neck always obvious? I heard that vitamin E capsules help. Any ideas?
There is a "let's talk wry neck" thread that may be helpful to you.

See also browneggblueegg.com's article on crookneck if interested. Gives treatment options.

Has anyone kept Phoenix chickens? I got a silver Phoenix hen in trade for a Silkie and yesterday I was able to find a rooster for her. I have read that they do best with perches to keep their long tail feathers from dragging and I have a large parrot cage that I have kept doves in when I had them inside so I am thinking about keeping the pair together in the cage. My breeding pens are full so I have them in a large rabbit cage so they can get to know each other. The hen has been hanging out with my splash Orpington rooster and he is huge so I want her to have her own rooster. I don't want them with the Silkies because I don't want to accidently hatch crossbred chicks. I am going to move them into the parrot cage tomorrow but I would like to make sure I have the best home for them. I have not kept chickens in a cage before.

Can anyone give me some tips for Pacific NW winters and chickens. I have 1 Buff Orpington who is laying but slowing down, 2 Buff Brahmas who are 26 weeks and havent started laying yet, and a 1 year old welsummer that was given to us a few weeks ago and was laying before the move and hasn't started back up yet. Do many in the area supplement light? I don't mind if they slow down in the winter but would like some eggs out of them. I worry about running electricity to the coop don't want to worry about fire etc. Any battery operated options? Would love some tips.

Welcome from South Graham, Our mailing address is Eatonville, but we are well north of the city.
Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Goats and Steer.
I buy most of my supplies at Webster Rd Feed, my local store.
I got the light on two weeks ago and the girls are laying up a storm.
I love shooting and have a range on the property.
My latest project has been running the dirt in our new garden area through my home-made grizzly to remove all the rocks over an inch. Anyone out my way certainly knows about glacial till!

Welcome. Wish we had the space for a range :) we go to the club in Pt. Townsend for practice. Drives my mom nuts. Best reason in the world. VERY nice rock removal set up!

If I took out all the rocks I would just have water. I gave up and started putting in raised beds last year.
lau.gif
Me, I have no rocks, but no soil, either. The whole area is one ancient sand dune. Some places have duff over the surface... They bulldozed all mine to put the house in. Pa-tetic.
I noticed in one of the hoop house threads (sorry, don't recall which one now or I'd post the link) that someone ran several strings of the LED Christmas lights on a solar battery and that seemed to be enough lights for their hens.
We've done this before; worked great, but couldn't find LED strands during summer (of course). This year we tried solar LED, but no dice. Had to run electricity. Maybe next year we can get better quality LED solar lights...
Has anyone kept Phoenix chickens? I got a silver Phoenix hen in trade for a Silkie and yesterday I was able to find a rooster for her. I have read that they do best with perches to keep their long tail feathers from dragging and I have a large parrot cage that I have kept doves in when I had them inside so I am thinking about keeping the pair together in the cage. My breeding pens are full so I have them in a large rabbit cage so they can get to know each other. The hen has been hanging out with my splash Orpington rooster and he is huge so I want her to have her own rooster. I don't want them with the Silkies because I don't want to accidently hatch crossbred chicks. I am going to move them into the parrot cage tomorrow but I would like to make sure I have the best home for them. I have not kept chickens in a cage before.
Interesting... a bantam breed? There's a Heritage Bantam thread that might be of help, maybe someone who's got long tailed sumatras or maybe even LF like Spanish, might have some tips.

I really need to go out and check the coop for eggs and see how the new additions are doing.

I'd really LIKE a fresh cup of coffee and make a biscuit for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I seem to have developed a 12lb black cat shaped tumor who is in no mood to get off my lap.

Phoenix are very active chickens and would not in my opinion do well in a small environment. High perches are good due to tail, low perches that they constantly move over, around, etc aren't ideal. Perches need to be perfectly smooth, sanded round wood or PVC, otherwise the tail can snag. I did know one breeder that didn't use perches at all for males and instead treated them like a Silkie or Cochin with very deep clean shavings. You'll enjoy them, I miss mine dearly, very active, good layers, and surprisingly good at brooding and raising their own.

Phoenix are very active chickens and would not in my opinion do well in a small environment. High perches are good due to tail, low perches that they constantly move over, around, etc aren't ideal. Perches need to be perfectly smooth, sanded round wood or PVC, otherwise the tail can snag. I did know one breeder that didn't use perches at all for males and instead treated them like a Silkie or Cochin with very deep clean shavings. You'll enjoy them, I miss mine dearly, very active, good layers, and surprisingly good at brooding and raising their own.
Can you clarify 'small'? Should they be allowed to range? Or kept undercover in nice deep litter to protect the tails?
-DuckDrover, how large a parrot cage? :) And how are your Lavs turning out?

Can you clarify 'small'? Should they be allowed to range?  Or kept undercover in nice deep litter to protect the tails?
-DuckDrover, how large a parrot cage? :) And how are your Lavs turning out?

I'd advise against ranging as dirt and mud will do a number on the males tails. But that's only a concern if you're showing I suppose. I always kept mine in totally covered pens, but in the interest of full disclosure, I do that with 90% of my birds anyway.

I can't emphasize enough the need for any perches in with Phoenix males to be smooth. Otherwise you will eventually find a very confused male dangling from perch by his tail.

One other tip, straw bedding can get tangled up in a knot with the tail as well.

Back
Top Bottom