Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

love the Pitbull Diane....but really I am Border Collie Diane.....

Glad to hear the eggs hatched...well some of them......

I got a nice blue Copper Marans rooster (named Maxwell) from Robin (Chickielady)....he is super nice. He has girlfriends already and look for chicks in the future.

I always wondered how the eggs turned out.....good to have you back

Diane

They are beautiful birds - I was sad that one of the eggs that had only partially hatched was an Icelandic. I was curious to see what it would look like. I forgot my password and did not go on for a while - I hate when my computer crashes and I need to reset everything.I never remember which password I have for which site! I finally just admitted I would never remember and reset the darn thing

My birds are finally on the upswing on who's laying. I was down to one rock and the dependable silkies for eggs. An ameraucana pullet laid yesterday, and today one of the EEs and brahmas decided they'd give me an egg.

I have not heard about roosters becoming infertile during cold weather or losing interest in breeding laying hens. I am still hatching English Orpingtons with excellent fertility. The last eggs I set are due Christmas Eve or Christmas! I try to schedule hatches a few days apart but sometimes I have daily hatches for a few days. I may get one clear egg in a month, which is higher fertility than any hatching eggs I have purchased. I have some Catdance Silkies due to hatch on Sunday with 10 out of 12 fertile (two candled clear). I sold most of my Silkie hens in anticipation of some nice pullets I am raising becoming layers in the Spring but I am still getting occasional eggs in the Silkie pen. My issue right now is transitional housing to get chicks out of the house and into an outdoor brooder before they move into the coop. I am hatching as many as I can so I can keep the best and cull the rest but I am selling some hatches as hatchling chicks so they don't get overcrowded.

That's really unfortunate about the dog getting to the birds. Check out Dr. Ian Dunbar's books and videos and such. He's an excellent behaviorist, (do more poking and you'll find that Caeser Milan is pretty much a fraud) and his material might really help you out. I know quite a few people that have followed his methods and been able to really get amazing results with their dog and chickens.
I checked into Ian Dunbar's site and the first thing I saw was that he has collaborated with Cesar Millan -that is the correct spelling btw ;) - on Cesar's latest book. Cesar is certainly controversial, I will grant you that. But it seems the people most opposed to his work are actually unfamiliar with it or trying to capitalize on the drama of controversy with a successful celebrity. Lots of talk about cruelty, beatings, "forcing" behavior and so on. When the vast majority of Cesar's technique involves calming techniques, socialization, body language and well timed, painless corrections.

I checked into Ian Dunbar's site and the first thing I saw was that he has collaborated with Cesar Millan -that is the correct spelling btw ;) - on Cesar's latest book. Cesar is certainly controversial, I will grant you that. But it seems the people most opposed to his work are actually unfamiliar with it or trying to capitalize on the drama of controversy with a successful celebrity. Lots of talk about cruelty, beatings, "forcing" behavior and so on. When the vast majority of Cesar's technique involves calming techniques, socialization, body language and well timed, painless corrections.

Nah, I'm very familiar with his work. He's not controversial just an idiot. Very good at being a celebrity, but his "methods" border on abuse. It's really sad that Dr. Dunbar associated himself with such filth.

Regardless I was just suggesting looking into someone who actually knows something rather than a worthless celebrity fraud that regularly tortures animals and exhausts and stresses them to the point of breaking.

And that's all I'll say on the matter because this is Backyard Chickens, not Dog Behavior Today

Last edited:
love the Pitbull Diane....but really I am Border Collie Diane.....

Glad to hear the eggs hatched...well some of them......

I got a nice blue Copper Marans rooster (named Maxwell) from Robin (Chickielady)....he is super nice. He has girlfriends already and look for chicks in the future.

I always wondered how the eggs turned out.....good to have you back

Diane

Hi, Diane!
I am looking for new BCM chicks in spring. Last time I took some beautiful birds from Tacoma breeder, but I lost some to Marek's. Do this "Chickenlady" has a good ones? Does she vaccinate for Marek's. I had all together 12 breeder birds ( different heritage breeds including BCM) - I lost half of them to Marek's - I decided to go all natural. But would not want to lose more birds this year to Marek's so looking for vaccinated birds, or may be will vaccinate myself. I do NOT want hatchery birds in any case.
Where can I find this chicken lady?
Thak you for any input

Hi, Diane!
I am looking for new BCM chicks in spring. Last time I took some beautiful birds from Tacoma breeder, but I lost some to Marek's. Do this "Chickenlady" has a good ones? Does she vaccinate for Marek's. I had all together 12 breeder birds ( different heritage breeds including BCM) - I lost half of them to Marek's - I decided to go all natural. But would not want to lose more birds this year to Marek's so looking for vaccinated birds, or may be will vaccinate myself. I do NOT want hatchery birds in any case.
Where can I find this chicken lady?
Thak you for any input

She's on here from time to time, has some pretty nice birds. No idea on vaccinating for Marek's as far as if she does or not. Vaccinating is a very controversial topic, some facts though are that they must be vaccinated as day olds, and after mixing the vaccine it must be used with an hour.

Nah, I'm very familiar with his work. He's not controversial just an idiot. Very good at being a celebrity, but his "methods" border on abuse. It's really sad that Dr. Dunbar associated himself with such filth.

Regardless I was just suggesting looking into someone who actually knows something rather than a worthless celebrity fraud that regularly tortures animals and exhausts and stresses them to the point of breaking.

And that's all I'll say on the matter because this is Backyard Chickens, not Dog Behavior Today
FYi Matt, this is a social thread not just chickens. I've yet to see the kind of abuse you are talking about and so far I've watched about 5 seasons worth of episodes. Millan has screwed up a few times resulting in bites to himself (mainly by getting distracted) I have never seen him hit a dog, use any painful punishment. He freely admits when he makes a mistake or misjudges a dog, and shares video of these incidents freely on his web site, probably in the hope that others will learn from his mistakes as well as his successes and use due caution in handling aggressive dogs which are the typical cases on his show.

Anyway, I have seen some improvement in a very short time in our pack. Especially when I stopped blaming the GSD for everything and took a hard look at the behavior of the Corgies, whom we have allowed to get away with some bad behavior because they are so small. It's obvious the GSD has stepped in to fill the pack leadership void. When I started demonstrating leadership (which Ian Dunbar also considers important) in a way that made sense to the dogs (using Millan style body language, calm assertiveness and not letting the corgis rush the door, etc.... No torture!), their stress/excitement level was reduced in minutes, exactly as it happens on the Dog Whisperer shows.

Hopefully this will carry over to the GSD having more respect for our property (chickens), but only time will tell. It's very difficult to enforce something from miles away. One thing we did on the advice of several folks is to obtain a rooster. We found one on Craig's list which was hatched in June. The hope is that instead of running away from the dog (triggering his prey drive) he will stand his ground and reinforce that the chickens are off limits. I really hope he doesn't get eaten, he's a very nice fellow and quite beautiful. If he lasts I'll post pics next week.

Back
Top Bottom