Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

no kidding! Especially since the whole thing is much "greener" than the usual plastic/electric hot tub, which sucks electricity, only lasts a 3-4 years on average and then can't be recycled. We expect this to last 15-20 years, then the wood bits go onto the wood pile and the metal parts can be used in a new tub or recycled. Plus we will generally only be using it during the cool/windy season, when emissions don't hang around, and certainly not run the stove constantly. I'd say 2-3 hours per week at the most, probably less.
I picked it up at the store in Seattle. The check or CC has to come from someone out of state. Let me know if you get one, assembly is a bit tricky and we'd be happy to help.

Here it is during assembly.

I used to think the same way as you are.
Until my Father-in Law got 28 solar arrays.....................and got rid of his natural gas EVERYTHING and his wood fired EVERYTHING and I...could not understand.......................but the whole idea is, electricity creates no pollution.
Of course we here know electricity comes at a cost to nature,. which I hate !!!!!!!!!!!!! {The Dam at the Klamath comes to mind.................the fish suffer, and that is not forgiven.}
What needs to be done is solar.
Things need to use (not suck) electricity...cars included.
And every building built, every single family home and every multi-family apartment building needs to be mandatory solar .
Period.
other than that, your lovely wood fired hot tub is aweome !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the response! I won't be trying to fertilize this winter. Just maybe someday in the future.
I am curious why I would have to separate the hen and the chick after it hatches? Couldn't I just separate both of them so they will be better protected from the other hens? A local farm I often visit had a surprise chick born around Halloween and they just moved both the hen and chick to their own space.

My goal in doing this would be to observe and be as hands off as possible.
When you "speak" to someone, click the bottom corner where it says "quote" and then underneath it, add your answer to that person.
It will be easier for that particular person to see what the answer was to his/her question/ or ongoing converstion.
Experiment....it is safe here !
wink.png

Hi! It has taken me a while to make a BYC account, but here I am. I'm in the Snohomish area. I'm planning on breeding some Jap bantams here in the spring. I got some chicks from a lady in October. She said they were full Jap bantams... nope. She also gave me some beautiful silkie roos. They went to a friend of mine since my husband says no roos. (Yeah, I plan on breeding, honey.) Well it turns out (which I noticed immediately before purchasing the chicks) they are not full Jap. I believe the silkies are the fathers. Out of the 8 chicks, 3 are for sure roosters. My husband wants them GONE. But I just want some cute little hens as pets. I'm thinking about breeding the laced roo to my current Jap bantam hen before offering him up to the first person who wants him.

Anyway, it's cold.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the response! I won't be trying to fertilize this winter. Just maybe someday in the future.
I am curious why I would have to separate the hen and the chick after it hatches? Couldn't I just separate both of them so they will be better protected from the other hens? A local farm I often visit had a surprise chick born around Halloween and they just moved both the hen and chick to their own space.

I guess I wasn't too clear. The hen and baby would have to be separate from the main flock until mama stops looking after it. Then the mama will go back to the flock, but baby is left alone, with no flock mates, and too young to join the big girls.

I guess I wasn't too clear. The hen and baby would have to be separate from the main flock until mama stops looking after it. Then the mama will go back to the flock, but baby is left alone, with no flock mates, and too young to join the big girls.
PHS, check in on your farm friend. See if the chick is still alive/age. It's difficult for chickens to be alone. They will literally die from loneliness. Or the inability to share body heat, or ending up having no 'flock manners' when finally introduced and getting their keister kicked from here to Cartegena and back. I'm a bit worried for mine, hatched 3, one died yesterday. If they don't both survive, I might as well cull the second.

Soooo what kind of eggs are they? :p

I am having a heck of a time finding fertile eggs right now, bad time of year.  I was going to try to break the broody hen but my girlfriend really wants to see some baby chicks following around the mother hen so I am going to see if she can be a successful broody this time of year. 

I have English Orpingtons and Silkies hatching but it is mainly the Orpingtons I am hatching right now. I had a hatch yesterday and another tomorrow since I stagger hatches by using an incubator to incubate the eggs and another incubator to hatch them. I have a third drying incubator for the hatched chicks that also works as a brooder for the first few days while they get on their feet and start eating and drinking. I have someone from Ellensburg buying my latest hatches this weekend to add to a clutch her hen hatched but I will keep hatching as long as the hens keep laying so I will have pullets ready to lay and roosters ready to eat in the Spring when things will get really busy with the ducks laying as well. It is too bad there is no way to tell if eggs are fertile without incubating them or cracking them open. My fertility on these hatches is excellent but it sounds like that could end with cold weather and I would not want to sell infertile eggs. If you want to slip chicks under her and let her think she hatched them, I do have lots of chicks!

I have English Orpingtons and Silkies hatching but it is mainly the Orpingtons I am hatching right now. I had a hatch yesterday and another tomorrow since I stagger hatches by using an incubator to incubate the eggs and another incubator to hatch them. I have a third drying incubator for the hatched chicks that also works as a brooder for the first few days while they get on their feet and start eating and drinking. I have someone from Ellensburg buying my latest hatches this weekend to add to a clutch her hen hatched but I will keep hatching as long as the hens keep laying so I will have pullets ready to lay and roosters ready to eat in the Spring when things will get really busy with the ducks laying as well. It is too bad there is no way to tell if eggs are fertile without incubating them or cracking them open. My fertility on these hatches is excellent but it sounds like that could end with cold weather and I would not want to sell infertile eggs. If you want to slip chicks under her and let her think she hatched them, I do have lots of chicks!

What part of washington are you in? I live in Shoreline, just north of Seattle. I am not even sure if she will be successful this time of year but I am tempted to let her try anyway with 6 or so eggs. She is a medium sized hen, not sure she could cover a full clutch of 12 eggs. If they were fertile 21 days ago, there is a pretty decent chance they will still be fertile now.

Quote:
I have a very accepting large fowl flock, 37 birds. I just add in everyone if they are large fowl at around 9 weeks. They combine quite well and two of the roosters allow them to snuggle with them at night.

When the silkies go broody, I don't remove them from their pen, I just give them a separate area to sit on eggs. After the chicks are a few days old, the mama will take them in with the rest of the silkies so they have more warm bodies to sleep under. I love my silkies. The whole flock cares for the chicks at night, and the rooster helps out mama in the day. The rooster also takes care of them well after mama is done with them.

Back
Top Bottom