Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Sorry about Peepers!

That sucks. I'm sorry. I hope the turkeys are tasty

Thanks he is the chick that I picked. He was so sweet and great at alerting the flock to predators. He got along great with the BR cockerel. They never did fight.

The only thing that saved those turkeys was the lack of freezer space. I also know that it was partly my fault because I should have double checked the run before locking the turkeys in there.

Back on the topic of the eggs every single egg we've eaten since they started laying three weeks ago have been fertile, is that normal?

If you have a male the same age or older, yes. He'd have started mating with them before they were laying

If you have a male the same age or older, yes. He'd have started mating with them before they were laying
We got them all only one day apart. They were all raised together from day old to one week old. We had 12 cockerels and eight pullets.

We sent the most aggressive of the cockerels to freezer camp start at 15 weeks old.

The nine we sent to freezer camp where brutal to the girls, which part of the reason why they went and the one we kept is very nice to the ladies. He "courts" them by calling them to tasty things he finds, lets them eat first and protects them from anything he thinks is a threat. He'll walk up and do his dance for them and if they fuss he just walks away.

About a week after the nine went away we saw the pullets squat for him. Actually we have seen a drastic change in the girls, all for the good. Now that I'm not so new at chicken raisin' I know what a "good" flock should look like and how they should behave.

Last edited:
CarolynF, thank you so much for your insight and advice. You make an excellent point about birds in the wild. I'll definitely rethink my position on the heat lamp and covering.

Thanks a lot and God bless you!

I'm feeding 17 large chickens and they eat about 1.5 pound of pellets per day. They also get two large bowls of vegetables, fruit, bread etc. plus about 6 hours of free ranging per day. They used to be able to free range all day and I notice they hardy ate any pellets then. A 40 pound bag of feed last me almost a month. They also get about 1 pound of whole oats in the afternoon as a treat.

If I do the math, it comes out to about 3 pounds of feed per chicken per month.

We also live in the foothills at about 1000 foot elevation. The chickens have a water heater, but I don't use a heat lamp since I truly believe they are a fire hazard. This is also my first winter with chickens, but they have a fully enclosed horse stall with an insulated hen house inside the stall. My chicks will hopefully be at least 5 months old before it gets really cold, so I think everyone will be able to keep each other warm. It has already been getting unusually cold at night (and its only August) so I'm worried this winter is going to be a survival test.

I wish I could free range my chickens but the best I can do is provide some more chain linking and enlarge their living space. Right now they are in an 8x10 foot kennel run, which is covered with chicken wire, and inside is where the coop is. It's well ventilated, and four chickens share one nesting box. They all came from the same farm, so they've known each other since they were hatched; three of them are approx. 17 weeks old, while the lead hen is 19 weeks old now.

It's only been the last few days I've been feeding them "table scraps" - Since I only cook for two, I basically prepare something for my chickens to eat other than the non gmo layer feed and corn. So for instance, this morning they got watermelon rind with plenty of red still on it, some hash browned potatoes, some warm oatmeal with honey and chopped apples. For dinner it was the layer feed and meal worms. There's always plenty of layer feed and corn mixed in with the dirt and grass, and on top of all that, I keep about four cups of feed in a dish besides. They've never taken to it, but they do know it's there.

My chickens love to sleep in the nesting box, and I'm certain they stay warm there, it's a very small coop. I'm concerned about frigid winter nights, and am hoping that I can find a simple solution to the cold issue.

I will say I am sooooo enjoying them! They are such a blessing to me, and I love how they perk up whenever they hear my voice. Ruth, my Plymouth Rock, doesn't run from me at all, she seems very smart, and is the leader of the pack. I've noticed she's not keen on sharing the perch at all. I don't know how long she sleeps there by herself, but I venture to say that since she is very familiar with the nesting box, I'm certain at some point during the night she hops into it and snuggles in with the others. It's sweet really. They are all happy sharing the nesting box, and today for the first time, I found three lovely eggs. Such a good feeling!

Thanks for your helpful comment! God bless you.

These little EE girls were from Yelm Farm and Pet. 

I'll be deciding who's being kept on the silkie pullets soon, since I had a lot of them in the hatches. 

The silkie chicks I just got are from them! Back in April we got them from Del's. DH likes Yelm farm and feed better and that is where we shop now.

Did you get your silkies from them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom