Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My 2 year old buff isn't doing so well today, and all day yesterday... She has some egg problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. I am hoping for the best but this is pretty bad for her ;(
Give her a 500 mg calcium tablet and see if that helps. Not sure if it will help, but it won't hurt her either. Is she eating?

ETA: Is she egg bound? Or maybe she has an egg broken inside? The calcium will help her get the egg out if she's got one stuck. It worked on my 4-year-old RIR hen last summer. I though she was a gonner, but she make a full recovery and is laying like old times. I hope your girl gets better. Let us know how she does!

Last edited:
YA I think it's broken inside, she's been lethargic all day and all day yesterday. She's eating a little and she has tiny poops that look like egg whites. I only have a calcium/vitamin D/vitamin K tablet, is that ok to give her? I could break it up in a grape, she's been eating those, so at least she's getting some water?

Hey Everyone! Havent been on this forum on a while lol I was just wondering what you all think of selling eggs as like a business on the side to make money? thanks for all the feedback
smile.png
Also on the eggbound hen soak her in warm water for about ten mins and see if the egg comes out that could help.

Hey Everyone! Havent been on this forum on a while lol I was just wondering what you all think of selling eggs as like a business on the side to make money? thanks for all the feedback:)  Also on the eggbound hen soak her in warm water for about ten mins and see if the egg comes out that could help.

I tried, she was not a fan? But she did drink some of the water XD
Our chickens tolerate being handled but they are not really comfortable being touched too much. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. She wasn't struggling but she didn't want to be held in the water either..

So... what does everyone think about the major increase in earthquake and volcanic activity in the are?

Add in the weird weather that has Alaska breaking YEARLY, not even just seasonal, highs... the typhons, the cold eather in Oklahoma, etc. I say tht the zombie apocolypse approaches and our chickens just became more valuable! LOL
Espesially when there is little chicken or turkey meat & egg prices are going to go way up !

Been a tough month around here so far. My elderly mom is taking a lot of extra time the past few months. I think I counted 7 Dr appointments in May. She's facing new issues and leans on me for a lot. I'm glad I can help, but it's exhausting some days. Plus I had to visit the dentist myself. My Marans hen improved her behavior for a few days, but in the end it wasn't enough to bring peace to the village. She's gone now and I miss her. She was a very sweet girl (except for attacking the littles). That also means I lost my only really dark eggs, and 1/3 of my eggs each week. Sure hope my Am kicks in again soon.

On the plus side, my spinach has been growing really well, and we have almost all the veggies planted now. I have a few seedlings that I'm letting get a bit bigger before I transplant. I have great hopes for this year's garden. Without our usual spring rain I think the strawberries are smaller than normal. I've watered 3 times now which is unheard of in May, but I WANT strawberries, I NEED strawberries!

Welcome to our newcomers!
Hopefully Mommie is OK !

Give her a 500 mg calcium tablet and see if that helps. Not sure if it will help, but it won't hurt her either. Is she eating?

ETA: Is she egg bound? Or maybe she has an egg broken inside? The calcium will help her get the egg out if she's got one stuck. It worked on my 4-year-old RIR hen last summer. I though she was a gonner, but she make a full recovery and is laying like old times. I hope your girl gets better. Let us know how she does!
We usually do the Olive Oil douche, when egg bound...sometimes greasing the gears helps...

Back
Top Bottom