Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Banty, with a mini forest nearby, yes you probably have a weasel/mink issue, also maybe a hawk too. My cats kill the mink in my forest. You need to make your coop/run predator proof, inspect and secure anything bigger than a 1/2" hole.
goodpost.gif

Early morning is prime hunting time for Great Horned owls, Barn Owls, and Snowy Owls. The Snowy Owls are in the region on the winter migration. They have been spotted on Whidbey Island just recently. Everybody's got to eat. Rodent populations are down and chicken is now on the menu.
If you keep chickens, know your predators. Supervise your flock until you can figure out how to let them free range safely and get your coop and run predator proof. If you are losing birds every few days it is a good indication your address is well known to them.
At this point, what kind of predator doesn't change the fact you are losing birds. You need to outsmart them. It can be done. It is very sad you have lost your lovely birds but now get mad! Do everything you can to protect them.

Travis - I kinda deep litter; at least, I did until now. But I also had a poop shelf and now I don't. It's a LOT of poop the goes into that litter. Don't you think that throwing treats in there for the girls to stir themselves would just cause a cocci outbreak? They'd come in contact with an awful lot of poop! I'll try it though...today I stirred it up instead of cleaning it out and it worked just fine, but it was a bit damp so I added DE....lots of it. We'll see if that dries it out enough or if I need to replace litter already. I don't mind doing it to keep mt flock healthy.

Travis - I kinda deep litter; at least, I did until now. But I also had a poop shelf and now I don't. It's a LOT of poop the goes into that litter. Don't you think that throwing treats in there for the girls to stir themselves would just cause a cocci outbreak? They'd come in contact with an awful lot of poop! I'll try it though...today I stirred it up instead of cleaning it out and it worked just fine, but it was a bit damp so I added DE....lots of it. We'll see if that dries it out enough or if I need to replace litter already. I don't mind doing it to keep mt flock healthy.

Cocci lives in dirt too. They have been exposed and have a healthy amount in there system. It is when they have an overload(bloody poo) that they have issues. Cocci is ever present in the NW. To help build an immunity so to speak, I put coop shavings and dirt from outside in with my day old chicks so they are exposed from day one. I am trying to build a resistant flock. If you want read up on DLM. It really does work, I try and keep my litter a little deeper under the roosts. Are you using UN-ACV in the water they drink? this helps create a hostile environment in the gut so Cocci has a hard time flourishing. I have also done this since day one.

Quote: Hey Mike:
I have not been on in ages. Just thought I would stop by and visit and saw your post. Not sure if you are looking for typey for showing or just a roo....but I have a 100% English Orp Roo - black - who is not as typey as I would like and would rehome him for free. I will be coming over in March for the Monroe show if you are interested. If not all is well.

Zgoat: I am looking for a nice typey orp roo. Are they 75% or 100% English? I know your real name and for the life of me can't think of it right this second, sorry. I do have some other feelers out there for a roo but I want to make sure and get the requests out there.

eta: You may want to PM me since I am hardly on here...just don't get the time.
I'm not looking to "show" but I have 2 E. Orp that were hatched by risingstar who assured me that her bloodline was imported directly from England. Anyway, mine are huge, 1 black, 1 blue and I would like to breed with an E Orp. Plan B will be to breed my BJG (from Chickielady) who is very mild mannered.

Quote: Hey Mike:
I have not been on in ages. Just thought I would stop by and visit and saw your post. Not sure if you are looking for typey for showing or just a roo....but I have a 100% English Orp Roo - black - who is not as typey as I would like and would rehome him for free. I will be coming over in March for the Monroe show if you are interested. If not all is well.

Zgoat: I am looking for a nice typey orp roo. Are they 75% or 100% English? I know your real name and for the life of me can't think of it right this second, sorry. I do have some other feelers out there for a roo but I want to make sure and get the requests out there.

eta: You may want to PM me since I am hardly on here...just don't get the time.
I'm not looking to "show" but I have 2 E. Orp that were hatched by risingstar who assured me that her bloodline was imported directly from England. Anyway, mine are huge, 1 black, 1 blue and I would like to breed with an E Orp. Plan B will be to breed my BJG (from Chickielady) who is very mild mannered.
Well he is a big boy, but seems a bit "narrow" in the chest to me....compared to my other 100% roo. I am still learning on what to look for. I think his tail goes up too much too. I will gladly pass him onto you if you would like him. I can bring him over in March to Monroe, actually I am coming over (probably) in February. I will be in the Tacoma area.

The feed stores carry it.  Make sure it is food-grade.  I also mix it in with the bedding inside the coop.  Seems to work well.  I've gotten it at Dels, but I believe Coastal Farm and Ranch carries it.  Reber Ranch might too.
I just heard about Coastal today. Going this week to check out the store in auburn and coastal. Need DE for goats also. Thanks.

Just ask them when you go in at Coastal. Sometimes I can't find stuff in there. That is sometimes me not seeing stuff in front of my face, and sometimes just because it's a good sized store.

Back
Top Bottom