Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Just got the call from the vet.... Anja is out of the or, and doing fine, with stitches set to come out in two weeks. We go pick her up at 6pm....

thumbsup.gif

Alright, I should be getting my roo Rodney tomorrow. I think I will give him a bath before I apply Eprinex. This may be a dumb question, but how should one go about bathing a chicken? I've washed dogs before, but since feathers are quite different from fur/hair, I wasn't sure if it should be approached another way. Thoughts/advice?

I saw an awfully cute BO hen in the main chicken barn and decided that he needs a friend during his month-long quarantine period.
Chickens are SOOO much easier than dogs! I've only bathed Silkies, though. I use a plastic pan and fill it with warm water inside the bathtub and use a few drops of Dawn in the water. After scooping the slightly soapy water all over the bird until it is soaked I rinse them with clean water. The Silkies just sit there and hardly move at all!!!! If using Dawn is bad, people, chime in! I've also heard of using puppy shampoo.

Alright, I should be getting my roo Rodney tomorrow.  I think I will give him a bath before I apply Eprinex.  This may be a dumb question, but how should one go about bathing a chicken?  I've washed dogs before, but since feathers are quite different from fur/hair, I wasn't sure if it should be approached another way.  Thoughts/advice?

I saw an awfully cute BO hen in the main chicken barn and decided that he needs a friend during his month-long quarantine period.

Set up a wash bin with warm water and gentle soap (we used baby shampoo) and a rinse bin with warm water. Gently bounce them up and down in each bin and then make sure you dry them well. Keep their heads out of the water at all times.

Seven eggs so far today- and yesterday there were three later than 6pm, so it looks as if we are back in full lay.

I was thinking of getting an incubator, somehow, but just ordered my BG test strips and they've gone up to three times what they were, so nope, not going to happen.

Came in for a brief sit-down and a glass of water, which would work better if I filled the glass, wouldn't it? I got some of the ground where the sheep pen sat too long in November and December raked up and seeded to flowers (Phacelia and Shirley poppies), for the fun of it. The grass should come back by June. I'm planning on sticking the sheep down by the barn, in a bigger pen, in a place with plenty of natural shade, because with a wedding coming up in July I suspect it would be the better part of valor to have a long-term compound for him for part of that time, so there will be flowery grass for some of the summer.

Best go get my water and rest fast so I can go grab hay for the sheep before it starts to rain. I need to have tea and be ready to go to the store, since I had a hose die yesterday, and the coffee grinder last night. Boo, hiss.

I updated my Chicken Family page with pictures of progress on my pen.

The girls enjoyed getting outside and a dirt bath.

This was the stopping point for the day on the pen work. I started the trench in the front, just need to get the trench and roof done in the next 2-3 weeks.

Just stopping for a fast hello. Going through all the motions of buying our new home. Got the House and septic inspections done last Friday and then today was the Well inspection. All of the came out perfect! No problems.

So I added all the pictures I have of the house to my page. Some maybe a bit out of place and slowly I will go through and label them.

Hi everyone, hope ya'll had a great Easter day and every day there after. I will hop on more when I am able.

Alright, I should be getting my roo Rodney tomorrow. I think I will give him a bath before I apply Eprinex. This may be a dumb question, but how should one go about bathing a chicken? I've washed dogs before, but since feathers are quite different from fur/hair, I wasn't sure if it should be approached another way. Thoughts/advice?

Quote:
x2. Don't rub hard feathered birds, you can scrub Silkies since their feathers are broken already. Blow drying them takes 15-30 min. And she will likely fall asleep during.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom