Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

No necropsies, but I saw movement in the zipped egg I thought had died and broke down and did the forbidden and shelled it: double-thick membrane. I've given the chick water with a little sugar in it and left it in the incubator to recover, oh, well, we'll see what we shall see?

Extra thick membranes would be a genetic issue, or possibly nutrition?  But I'm not well versed enough to know what would cause it nutritionally.

I think it's one of those random egg development things; in breaking eggs to cook them (everything being marked and dated here because it interests me to do so) it seems to coorelate with sudden changes from cool wet to hot dry weather.

Speaking of things that interest me, I find my determination to move some of the bantams off the place ASAP fighting with my need to document feather development. I was going to do that with the EEs before, and then ended up bagging it because of ill health that fall and winter (they were hatched in October, something I'll not do again without a separate secure outside brooder). On the other hand, argh, I swear these ideas come from some deep well of over-achieving perfectionism which I thought I'd shed when I dropped out of grad school in 1978.

My (maybe not fixed after all) computer did something deeply weird and sucked all the electricity out of the battery while jamming the last year's photo library onto the chip and I need to go to bed sometime (downloading that many photos takes forever), especially since I got up early to check the hatchlings and then, after my husband came home at 9:20, finished taking the hoop house apart, loaded two BLRW hens into a size medium pet carrier (a bit like stuffing sausage) carried them a hundred or so feet uphill (ten feet changed in elevation) which: YOW those things are heavy. And then the real fun started, because they would not come out; I had to take the carrier apart and turn it upside down to get them out.

I'll take the tiny teeny splash or white Bd'A chick the size of fuzzy nothing, thanks, easier on my back.

So, anyway, no pictures to show you. And boy howdy am I babbling or what?

I haven't head the term "boy howdy" in a long time. A fav of my wife.

I was just thinking that Julia is the onlyone I know who says that.

But you know Margo? Or, as more than one of my friends has described us, my identically different sister?

ETA: how can you tell when I need to eat? I get multisyllabically silly.

Last edited:
We had lost our 5 1/2 yr. old Golden Retriever very suddenly in January to an auto-immune disease. After living with his loss for a while, I began looking to bring someone new into our home. We are confirmed on a list from a Golden Retriever breeder for a puppy due in July, but thought with our only daughter graduating from college in 2014 and both of us retired that we could find room and time in our lives for a rescue as well.

I scoured various sites for several weeks but seemed to just keep missing the dogs I was interested in. Last Friday morning this young girl became available. I had thought we'd get an adult rescue but sometimes things work out differently. We made and appointment to visit her that afternoon.

This girl and her siblings hadn't had a very good start. All were listed as lab/pit X's, but I think our girl is showing some shepherd. From a very sad and frightening start I am pleased to report that we have a happy, playful, puppy living with us now. She's learning basic commands quickly and is a sweet, affectionate girl. We had a wellness visit yesterday and she'll be starting Puppy K on June 1st for some classes and socialization with other puppies.

So far is getting along okay with our 13 year old Pom who tolerates her, (he's a cranky old man), doesn't chase the cats and is mildly curious about the chicks in the house and LF outside, but is thus far being respectful.

We named her Luna. I think she's going to be a GREAT dog!

In the visiting room on DD's lap - a very frightened, needy puppy...
944625_10151632598740937_454969542_n.jpg

After her first night home -
309956_10151633403385937_743648812_n.jpg

and two days later visiting a new friend -

931234_10200707813372051_242867262_n.jpg

We had lost our 5 1/2 yr. old Golden Retriever very suddenly in January to an auto-immune disease. After living with his loss for a while, I began looking to bring someone new into our home. We are confirmed on a list from a Golden Retriever breeder for a puppy due in July, but thought with our only daughter graduating from college in 2014 and both of us retired that we could find room and time in our lives for a rescue as well.

I scoured various sites for several weeks but seemed to just keep missing the dogs I was interested in. Last Friday morning this young girl became available. I had thought we'd get an adult rescue but sometimes things work out differently. We made and appointment to visit her that afternoon.

This girl and her siblings hadn't had a very good start. All were listed as lab/pit X's, but I think our girl is showing some shepherd. From a very sad and frightening start I am pleased to report that we have a happy, playful, puppy living with us now. She's learning basic commands quickly and is a sweet, affectionate girl. We had a wellness visit yesterday and she'll be starting Puppy K on June 1st for some classes and socialization with other puppies.

So far is getting along okay with our 13 year old Pom who tolerates her, (he's a cranky old man), doesn't chase the cats and is mildly curious about the chicks in the house and LF outside, but is thus far being respectful.

What an adorable puppy!

She looks so happy.

That's what happened with our rescue. We kept missing the one we wanted. Then the rescue place said they have a dog that might fit our profile. When he got here for a visit, he made himself right at home. So it is safe to say he chose us. Congrats

We had lost our 5 1/2 yr. old Golden Retriever very suddenly in January to an auto-immune disease.  After living with his loss for a while, I began looking to bring someone new into our home.  We are confirmed on a list from a Golden Retriever breeder for a puppy due in July, but thought with our only daughter graduating from college in 2014 and both of us retired that we could find room and time in our lives for a rescue as well.

I scoured various sites for several weeks but seemed to just keep missing the dogs I was interested in.  Last Friday morning this young girl became available.  I had thought we'd get an adult rescue but sometimes things work out differently.  We made and appointment to visit her that afternoon.

This girl and her siblings hadn't had a very good start.  All were listed as lab/pit X's, but I think our girl is showing some shepherd.  From a very sad and frightening start I am pleased to report that we have a happy, playful, puppy living with us now.  She's learning basic commands quickly and is a sweet, affectionate girl.  We had a wellness visit yesterday and she'll be starting Puppy K on June 1st for some classes and socialization with other puppies.

>snipped darling dog pictures for the sake of the page<

Oh, what a sweetie! I'm all weighed down with geriatric dog care, myself, and puppies look wonderful to me.

Julia, although I'm planning on downsizing

Cute little guy... so glad you found each other! <3

Back
Top Bottom