Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

BTW, and trying to keep my temper here: my ID of that plant as Lonicera involucrata was in no way a mere "suggestion." There is no other plant, native nor introduced, with the positive identifying feature of twin berries in a papery bract.

Honest.

I actually have had to know this stuff for more than one job. It's right down the middle of what I've been trained to do.

Bother, now my headache's worse:he

I hadn't replied on what plant it was because you'd answered it. I have one up front near the mailbox that I had gotten IDed a couple years ago. I had conflicting info on if the berries were edible or not, but they aren't toxic. So I tasted one. Not an eating berry.

From the King County web site

King county has a nice little native plant guide. I wish it had more on it, but I do like it. https://green.kingcounty.gov/gonative/index.aspx
And the invasive list http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/laws.aspx

I use that one a lot. I've been trying to get rid of the invasives that I can actually manage.

Is it unusual for a hen to go broody during the summer? We have a Buff Orpington who is over the moon happy, sitting on a clutch of eggs in the shed. We've never had fertile eggs before this, and probably won't again. The neighbors hate our rooster. :( I've heard you can douse them in a tub of cool (not cold) water, and that is supposed to break the broodiness, but I've never tried it. Good luck with your hen. Happy Independence Day! :)

Is it unusual for a hen to go broody during the summer? We have a Buff Orpington who is over the moon happy, sitting on a clutch of eggs in the shed. We've never had fertile eggs before this, and probably won't again. The neighbors hate our rooster. :( I've heard you can douse them in a tub of cool (not cold) water, and that is supposed to break the broodiness, but I've never tried it. Good luck with your hen. Happy Independence Day! :)

My EEs and Brahma have only gone broody during the summer.

I think if I remember right, that in the wild, jungle fowl hens will raise a few clutches of chicks in the warmer weather during spring and through summer.

Well, the sheep is even sillier looking when he's shorn back to his hips than when he's got short wool on his neck and long wool everywhere else. On the other hand, using Armstrong shears is so much easier on my hands and back and ears than the electric ones. And not much slower than the electric ones, since I have to keep stopping because my hands have gone numb. Hand shears are like hammers: they are as good as it's possible to get for the job, because they're shaped by the necessity of the job and the reality that if they were hany harder to use nobody would keep sheep anyway. I have an old pair of Sunbeam clippers, the ones I learned to clip cattle with when I was ten or eleven, and the spring that attached the tensioner spring to the top blades of the shearing heads is broken so I'd have to use the show cattle head, and no, no thank you, did it last year and I couldn't stand up straight for a week after.

Now if I could just get him up on the shearing table so I can get his underbits. And if I had lanolin proof gloves so I don't have to stop and wash because every little broken place on the skin of my hands feels as if it's been doused with lemon juice.

I just did an hour of clipping and sheep-wrestling and am in to take my tea before I go out, put him in his pen, check waterers for the last time today and pick up the last round of eggs. And then I get to move the feeder and waterer for Malvina and the Blues Brothers Show Band into the hoop house sh I can put them in their new place this evening.

Good thing it didn't get up to ninety today.

Last edited:
Oy. I really need to supervise people who are helping me; I went in to break up the over-crowded box of Hamburgs and found out that it had had sand added but not emptied for long enough I needed to take the stuff out with a shovel. It was a bad enough job that I'm whacked, and still have all the outdoor work to do and the sheep is still not naked.

I wonder if drinking some coffee would wake me up enough to go out and face the day?
huh ????
idunno.gif
can't help right now dunno understando ?

BTW, and trying to keep my temper here: my ID of that plant as Lonicera involucrata was in no way a mere "suggestion." There is no other plant, native nor introduced, with the positive identifying feature of twin berries in a papery bract.

Honest.

I actually have had to know this stuff for more than one job. It's right down the middle of what I've been trained to do.

Bother, now my headache's worse:he
I will accept that this unaddressed poison dart was aimed at me~~~~~~~~~
th.gif

But FYI: I addressed the Q at YOU, sweet woman, in the first place !
wink.png

I KNOW YOU KNOW !!
Seeds squished as per requested and need drying, then COLD before germination....as per my book....OOOOF DAH, You are my plant GODDESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bow.gif

any help anyone???

&/or is there anyone near Snohomish who has some inexpensive fertile eggs for me to give her to see how good she is as a broody?

I'm thinking 6 eggs for a first try? - & if I had a choice, I prefer larger, hardier breeds - no banty's no fancy's. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a test hatch. I'd drive Mt. Vernon to Seattle.

Or is this too late in the season to consider letting her sit??

thx all!
Put her in a smallish wire rabbit-type cage, and suspend it, so that there is no warmth below her, as in, suspend from a tree, a clothesline, or over a hole in the ground.
You want cold air to hit her cushion, and breast..you want her to feel cold air.
This cannot be had when the hen is in a warm nest situation~~~~
You must throw hwe off the nest and either lock her out of the house or cage her to expose her nether regions:::
Alot of ppl submerge hens of such, in cold pails of water to "shock" them back awake...............You may notice a broody hen will loose her breast feathers......
Anyway, this is why we have the saying
Madder than a wet hen
wink.png

I hadn't replied on what plant it was because you'd answered it. I have one up front near the mailbox that I had gotten IDed a couple years ago. I had conflicting info on if the berries were edible or not, but they aren't toxic. So I tasted one. Not an eating berry.

From the King County web site

King county has a nice little native plant guide. I wish it had more on it, but I do like it. https://green.kingcounty.gov/gonative/index.aspx
And the invasive list http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/laws.aspx

I use that one a lot. I've been trying to get rid of the invasives that I can actually manage.
That does not look the same either...but I have noticed that some of the shrubs in SUN have a very diffrent color.............. I will admit thus far that they (here) do have TWIN berries per shoot~~~
I luvya SF !!
wink.png

My EEs and Brahma have only gone broody during the summer.

I think if I remember right, that in the wild, jungle fowl hens will raise a few clutches of chicks in the warmer weather during spring and through summer.
I have had Black Javas and a few other foundation Heritage breeds go bonkers broody in the middle of winter~~~~ 20 degrees~~~~~in January !!!!!!!!!!
OH yeah!
I do not allow it here, but have seen others in Northern climes as such in Minnesota....hatching a clutch of babes in the snow~~~~~~

Oy. I really need to supervise people who are helping me; I went in to break up the over-crowded box of Hamburgs and found out that it had had sand added but not emptied for long enough I needed to take the stuff out with a shovel. It was a bad enough job that I'm whacked, and still have all the outdoor work to do and the sheep is still not naked. I wonder if drinking some coffee would wake me up enough to go out and face the day?
huh ????
idunno.gif
can't help right now dunno understando ?
The Hamburgs in the bathroom- we were going to take the cockerels to Coal Creek on Saturday but I was soundly discouraged by people who told me that the weekend before the Fourth people only buy fed-out meat birds. DH and the Hired Hand put dry sand in last week instead of cleaning up. Also, where do you get sand without silty dust? the chicks turned their waterer over and now they're mudballs. They're in the utility sand from Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom