Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I hope she's not sealing intact eggs (blow them first). If they go bad they can explode and create a nasty, stinky mess. I hope you can find the eggs you want; we aren't close and none of mine are laying yet, although I thin I heard a very feeble crow this morning!

LOL! Yes, yes. Blowing them first. Oh my that WOULD be a big mess!
lau.gif

Hi there. I'm looking for some friendly egg layers. Hopefully a couple different breeds and different colored eggs. My run will be ready in September (gotta wait for my military husband to be home long enough to finish it) and they'll need to get along somewhat with my exotic duck as the ducks will occasionally join then in the run. So I'm looking for advice, recommendations, and people in wa (I'm on Whidbey Island, but I'll drive a good distance to pick up the right chickens) looking to sell. I'm looking for females only to startI
I highly recommend Baxter Barns in Fall city. This guy knows his stuff. Several of us on here by our feed from him. he has all kinds of breeds and all ages. That's the only place I will buy from now. several people that you can trust have chickens for sale here on BYC. Ask Chickielady. she knows more of these people then I do. can't go wrong with her recommendations.

Hi there. I'm looking for some friendly egg layers. Hopefully a couple different breeds and different colored eggs. My run will be ready in September (gotta wait for my military husband to be home long enough to finish it) and they'll need to get along somewhat with my exotic duck as the ducks will occasionally join then in the run. So I'm looking for advice, recommendations, and people in wa (I'm on Whidbey Island, but I'll drive a good distance to pick up the right chickens) looking to sell. I'm looking for females only to start.
What is your duck population like, in boy to girl ratios? If you have all girls, this problem won't occur, but my understanding is that keeping male waterfowl with chickens can occasionally be fatal for hens. Yep, fatal. If for some reason a drake takes a liking to a hen, the mating can seriously injure or kill them. You didn't say, so thought I'd point this out. Something to do with the mechanics of the male parts in waterfowl.

What is your duck population like, in boy to girl ratios? If you have all girls, this problem won't occur, but my understanding is that keeping male waterfowl with chickens can occasionally be fatal for hens. Yep, fatal. If for some reason a drake takes a liking to a hen, the mating can seriously injure or kill them. You didn't say, so thought I'd point this out. Something to do with the mechanics of the male parts in waterfowl.

I've heard that as well. I actually plan on keeping them separate unless I'm with them. The ducks I have are exotics, and a mated pair at that, so I'm not too worried about him. But they'd only be together while cleaning one coop or the other. But their runs are also right next to each other so I don't want the chickens to be aggressive towards them. I found a neighbor who raises organic chickens and has some hand tamed barred rock pullets and a white leghorn. I'm also thinking of getting 1-2 black copper marans. I love the colorful egg selections I'd get from them. Really all I'd be missing are the blue/green eggs which maybe I'll add some to the flock early next year. The temperament of my neighbor's chickens is really great. They are great with dogs, kids... both of which they won't have to worry about much with me. Not sure how the black copper marans will be, but my heart skipped a beat at the idea of getting them.

This is what I heard. if you get ducks (males) and chickens and Raise them together, you will have problems with the ducks wanting to mate. we got ducks (males by accident) and chickens at the SAME time and we had trouble every spring with the ducks wanting to mate. I finally got rid of the ducks. I heard if you don't get them together and raise them together then you won't have any problems. Don't know if that is true, just what I heard.

Back
Top Bottom