Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

How many of you show birds? What do you get out of it? To me it seems a lot of work for little gain? I get it more in a commercial sense, where you are selling meat or eggs, so having a flock with awards to it's name can mean the difference between non sale and sale, but as just a farmer, I am not so sure what you gain. I want to go back on my own for work, but cost for me is being prohibitive right now, and that means I am going to start small...really small. Was this a way any of you got into it?

I show because its fun. I enjoy chatting with other knowledgable poultry people and learning. I'm also a very competitive person. If I can find a way to compete in something, I will.

I'm very interested in breeding programs and the genetics of improving my flocks. Showing also gives me a neutral eye evaluating an making sure that I don't end up with "coop blindness" when evaluating my own birds for confirmation.

I started very small, with a couple pair of Black Plymouth Rock Bantams that were kind of dropped on my family when I was 12. That fall I went to my first show and bought my first pair of Black Langshans. Kept things very small for the first couple years before ballooning.

I guess that you can be unselective about temprement with show chickens, but it makes chicken exhibitors look amateurish compared to anyone else: there is no excuse keeping a mean animal, even if they're not likely to turn you into a fine pink paste the way a bad bull will. My life got an order of magnitude easier when I got rid of a mean rooster. It's just too unpleasant and complicated no matter what their apparent physical perfection.

I've known people who were killed by bad cattle, horses, and goats, so I may be biased.

I used to have two hens that were incredibly friendly, would fly up onto my shoulder and call me whenever they saw me. I really loved them, UNTIL, it came time to part with them. Now I don't want friendly chickens. Just good , healthy birds for the pasture. I personally don't care about egg colour, just want good layers (although my buyers like the rainbow boxes). I want healthy birds that will lay in winter, and won't die from the weather. I like blue birds, but it doesn't "REALLY" matter. I like those that forage and don't eat a huge amount. I'd like ones that will make a good table bird if it turns out to be a cockerel.

IF I were to choose a bird for looks, I really like the dark Cornish. They look like predators and have a nice body, sort of like Schwarzenegger. I like the game birds in general (looks wise). While I love white birds, our weather is bad and they look horrible in winter.

Right now I have a few adolescent Dorkings (great foragers, good table birds, winter layers and hardy). The chicks are Marans, JG's (which I'm going to try a project with) and hopefully some Ameraucanas.

[COLOR=800080]But, truth be told I would NOT have chickens if it weren't for the eggs (I like eggs a lot). We have rabbits and I really like the higher dress out, and the taste. They can go in any recipe that calls for chicken, they are lower in fat and cholesterol and don't make any noise![/COLOR]

There is no difference between show birds and production. Or at least there shouldn't be. Form follows function. I just notice some preference differences depending on ones focus. A lot of folks that show will choose simple patterns or solid colors, because its easier to get a highly competitive bird, where as non show folks love the different complex colors and patterns. Exhibitors don't give a darn about egg color, it doesn't matter. Non show folk like tinted eggs etc. again not right or wrong, just interesting differences.

Edit: other big difference I've noted is exhibitors don't particularly care about the birds personality in general, while the non show people gravitate away from breeds that have tendencies to be flighty or aggressive.

I think having friendly birds to a point is needed, show or production, because you don't want a bird that is going to tear you, your friends, family, another animal or pet up if you are requiring eggs or show from them. I do love the complex patterns of the birds, and they are gorgeous. My mother is an artist, and loves to get new fresh pictures of my animals to paint, and they are fun to look at. I think a bird that is still afraid of things, is a good thing. They are more apt to stay away from predators, and they keep your cat away lol I have a rooster that is somewhat tame, but we had a raccoon attack not to long ago, and he beat up the raccoon pretty good, but not till after it got one of my birds, that in turn made him come after me in the morning. I keep him for that reason, otherwise, he lives his life, doing his thing, and I do mine. But if he were to attack all the time, his name is Chicken Dinner, and that's what he will be lol But it's also nice to go into the enclosure with the chicks (I have to flocks right now, one older, one younger) and they run up for treats, but it's going to make it harder to cook some of the cockerals when it comes time. They are pretty, and a pleasure to have around, and it's cute seeing them sleeping on top of my goats at night, they share the same pen and get along great. So I see both sides there. And I see why a show person would want a less complex color scheme to a bird, but then again I didn't get birds to show off, I got them to supplement me in food, and that's about it lol They could be ugly, I really don't care, as long as the end of the day I have something tasty.

How many of you show birds? What do you get out of it? To me it seems a lot of work for little gain? I get it more in a commercial sense, where you are selling meat or eggs, so having a flock with awards to it's name can mean the difference between non sale and sale, but as just a farmer, I am not so sure what you gain. I want to go back on my own for work, but cost for me is being prohibitive right now, and that means I am going to start small...really small. Was this a way any of you got into it?
Also, by showing and placing with a bird, when you are breeding it's line you can say it comes from show stock. It fetches a higher price for the offspring.

Winter is when the farmers shop, though- at least the ones looking for bargains at farm sales. I don't actually know anyone who buys new tractors, though.

I agree with this statement. I wouldn't buy new, I like older tractors that are well known and the big issues already identified. We had Fords, now New Holland, but really any name brand is good. So Allis Chalmers (sp?) Ford/New Holland, John Deere, Kubota etc. In small tractors, I have loved the Kubota's, they come with many options and additions, for decent price, they tend to hold good value, and they run a long time, and parts are usually easy to come by. The Fords we had intermixed with some New Holland parts, but sometimes I had to find Ford only parts, and sometimes I had to order from 1000 miles away because I needed it now, not in two weeks. I would look at what locals have, and what dealers are close when buying a tractor, so you might spend a little up front, but what it might save you in downtime when you NEED a tractor, can save you hundreds. Don't buy more then you need also, it's more to go wrong, so that shiny John Deere has a cab with AC, a cd player, DVD, GPS, ABS, insert option here, etc., but what happens when the AC breaks and it's 95 out and you are stuck in a glass case all day? Spend money on the important features, like what implements you want, ease of use, horsepower etc.

I show because its fun. I enjoy chatting with other knowledgable poultry people and learning. I'm also a very competitive person. If I can find a way to compete in something, I will.

I'm very interested in breeding programs and the genetics of improving my flocks. Showing also gives me a neutral eye evaluating an making sure that I don't end up with "coop blindness" when evaluating my own birds for confirmation.

I started very small, with a couple pair of Black Plymouth Rock Bantams that were kind of dropped on my family when I was 12. That fall I went to my first show and bought my first pair of Black Langshans. Kept things very small for the first couple years before ballooning.

This makes sense, I do like going and talking to other raisers of the stock I keep, they do have some knowledge, and local knowledge at that, that can greatly help! I know I also can't afford the week off work to do it though lol You are in Battleground, do you know any of the Walsh's down there?

Also, by showing and placing with a bird, when you are breeding it's line you can say it comes from show stock. It fetches a higher price for the offspring.
Good to know, but I have no plans yet to sell birds, I will keep that in mind. I really care more about the bird being productive like I said, and I'd hope a buyer would too, but this makes total sense.

Winter is when the farmers shop, though- at least the ones looking for bargains at farm sales. I don't actually know anyone who buys new tractors, though.

I agree with this statement. I wouldn't buy new, I like older tractors that are well known and the big issues already identified. We had Fords, now New Holland, but really any name brand is good. So Allis Chalmers (sp?) Ford/New Holland, John Deere, Kubota etc. In small tractors, I have loved the Kubota's, they come with many options and additions, for decent price, they tend to hold good value, and they run a long time, and parts are usually easy to come by. The Fords we had intermixed with some New Holland parts, but sometimes I had to find Ford only parts, and sometimes I had to order from 1000 miles away because I needed it now, not in two weeks. I would look at what locals have, and what dealers are close when buying a tractor, so you might spend a little up front, but what it might save you in downtime when you NEED a tractor, can save you hundreds. Don't buy more then you need also, it's more to go wrong, so that shiny John Deere has a cab with AC, a cd player, DVD, GPS, ABS, insert option here, etc., but what happens when the AC breaks and it's 95 out and you are stuck in a glass case all day? Spend money on the important features, like what implements you want, ease of use, horsepower etc.

I'll put in a vote for Kubota for small farm use; we have big JDs and ACs for the round bale operation, but the small Kubota is what gets used for ploughing gardens , mowing hay on little parcels, and digging holes. It's quick and thrifty and easy to handle.

I will say that I'm fond of ROP cages without glass for general purposes, having put on way too many miles on a JD 350 with no ROP and a big breaking plow on the back.

I think a tractor without ROPS is like a cell phone that only plays games, worthless. ROPS (roll over protection sytem) is uber important, as roll overs are one of the single biggest killers of farmers in tractors. Don't ever buy a tractor with out it in my honest opinion, I'd rather have that option and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I don't know if that's always the case though. I see mutts selling for more at swaps, Craigslist, farmers markets etc, than a lot of the purely show breeders sell their extras for. Honestly it's like two different worlds as far as selling stock. Just an observation I have no explanation, I really don't.

This makes sense, I do like going and talking to other raisers of the stock I keep, they do have some knowledge, and local knowledge at that, that can greatly help! I know I also can't afford the week off work to do it though lol You are in Battleground, do you know any of the Walsh's down there?

Good to know, but I have no plans yet to sell birds, I will keep that in mind. I really care more about the bird being productive like I said, and I'd hope a buyer would too, but this makes total sense.

Not familiar with a Walsh off the top of my head, poultry folk?

I'll put in a vote for Kubota for small farm use; we have big JDs and ACs for the round bale operation, but the small Kubota is what gets used for ploughing gardens , mowing hay on little parcels, and digging holes. It's quick and thrifty and easy to handle.

I will say that I'm fond of ROP cages without glass for general purposes, having put on way too many miles on a JD 350 with no ROP and a big breaking plow on the back.

Love Kubotas. They're a really great machine.

Hatchery buff silkie. He kept getting meaner and stalked and attacked us. He was starting to get some spurs and got me at the wrong time for him. I found the hatchet and took quick care of him.

I guess that you can be unselective about temprement with show chickens, but it makes chicken exhibitors look amateurish compared to anyone else: there is no excuse keeping a mean animal, even if they're not likely to turn you into a fine pink paste the way a bad bull will. My life got an order of magnitude easier when I got rid of a mean rooster. It's just too unpleasant and complicated no matter what their apparent physical perfection.

I've known people who were killed by bad cattle, horses, and goats, so I may be biased.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about large livestock.  But, it's a chicken.  I personally take temperament into account, but If the bird has traits i need and no others do then temperament isn't going to keep me from using that bird. Example: If I have a cockerel that is 20% faster growing than his brothers, and a larger size with better meat qualities (and confirmation of course as a by product as it should be) then I'm going to breed from him, I don't care what his "personality" is like.  I'd be foolish to throw away those genes as a breeder.  If I have a small group that is showing similar qualities then it becomes easier.  So what's more amateurish?  Setting back the breed for who knows how many years by using inferior animals? Or using the bird that let's you make progress in more important areas?

Purely academic for me, as I'm sure Hell will have frozen over, thawed, and refrozen by the time I ever see a Langshan with any sort of attitude, but relevant to some other breeds.

Edit: Hinotori, where did you ever find a mean Silkie? I'm not sure I've ever encountered that...I've only tried Silkie once, it was an interesting experience, but tasted pretty good.

Hatchery buff silkie. He kept getting meaner and stalked and attacked us. He was starting to get some spurs and got me at the wrong time for him. I found the hatchet and took quick care of him.

Wow, I know hatchery birds in general can be more aggressive but that's first I've heard of a silkie. Yikes. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom