Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey what about brocoli Mine bolted and I was contemplating feeding it to the chx.

My understanding from reading the Fermented Feed thread, was you can greatly reduce oxalates by chopping up those dark greens and adding them to ferment for at least 24 hours... might be worth a peak.
This is true about the Fermenting

Had a coyote - mid-day - while we were outside - take a chicken yesterday.  I am not happy! -- My brother sent me a link to the WA state wildlife info sheet on coyotes - it's quite informative.  Thought I'd share with my fellow WA staters.

[SIZE=12pt] [COLOR=0000FF]http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/coyotes.html[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]interesting fence ideas, I'd thought I'd have to go electrified - but maybe not.  Also considering getting a couple of LGD's.[/SIZE]

The wire apron is very effective, however I would still recommend a hotwire near top of fence to prevent coons from climbing over, and their suggestions to stop coyote from going over the top do not apply to coon an possum.

In general, anything very furry (winter coyotes, raccoons year around) or at all smarter than cattle easily out-smarts hot wires, and the stupid things are so inconvenient to deal with at gates that people tend to stop using them.

Ok, we got our new baby tonight. He's already decided he's the master's dog. But what a personality! Really laid back, until the Airedale decided a predator was about and he woke up very quickly. What a lovely boy.

Hi all,

I am in Seattle and new to raising chickens, so I've been lurking around here a bit. Earlier this year I was given two Swedish Flower Hen chicks - unfortunately one was eaten by my partner's dog, and the other has become a very sweet and ... handsome cockerel. Alas. I've tried sneaking him into the enclosed nesting box at night so he won't crow at the first sliver of light, but it's only really succeeded in delaying his crowing until 5am, and then he just won't stop. The neighbors aren't amused. So, as a latch ditch effort before I suck it up and roast him, I wondered if anyone here would be interested in him.

A rare sunbreak in Seattle!

If you want to know more, PM me or email me: parkranger at gmail dot com

Hi all,

I am in Seattle and new to raising chickens, so I've been lurking around here a bit. Earlier this year I was given two Swedish Flower Hen chicks - unfortunately one was eaten by my partner's dog, and the other has become a very sweet and ... handsome cockerel. Alas. I've tried sneaking him into the enclosed nesting box at night so he won't crow at the first sliver of light, but it's only really succeeded in delaying his crowing until 5am, and then he just won't stop. The neighbors aren't amused. So, as a latch ditch effort before I suck it up and roast him, I wondered if anyone here would be interested in him.

A rare sunbreak in Seattle!

If you want to know more, PM me or email me: parkranger at gmail dot com

I'd try putting him on CL. While it's true that people get CL roosters for dinner, they're a lot less likely to eat them if they have to pay for them. Since SFHs are pretty uncommon, there's a good chance that you'll find someone who is genuinely interested in him because of his breed. Good luck!

Totalcolour~I love the pic of your dog, that mastiff block head is awesome...I think he looks adorable! My parents have had several mastiff's over the years and they've all been the sweetest dogs!

Sarinar~I agree with the advice others have given, put him on CL of you cant find anyone here...also try the Oregon page here on BYC, someone there might be willing to meet up to snag him =)

I won some hatching eggs from Sunny-side Micro Farms! She said she'll ship them whenever Im ready for them =)

Last edited:
1001220_564006490325737_683159963_n.jpg

yuckyuck.gif

Quote: In general, anything very furry (winter coyotes, raccoons year around) or at all smarter than cattle easily out-smarts hot wires, and the stupid things are so inconvenient to deal with at gates that people tend to stop using them.

thx - was wondering about gates being a hassle for hot wires - but I don't have personal experience with them. I'm feeling secure at night when the possums & raccoons are more likely to be out -- it's the daytime coyotes that are currently p**sing me off. I could see setting up some of those portable poultry net things if I really need to - but really prefer to not have to have the hassle, you know? We're still finishing our not predator-proof, mildly deterrent, sigh, fence & doing serious inquiries for LGD's. The fence would give the dogs a defined area to patrol, if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom