Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am finding this so awesome that there are quilters out there who happen to have chickens too! Quilting I've been doing for a while, but chickens are new to me (although I've quilted a few quilts that have chickens on them). Very nice to meet you all. I made this one a few weeks ago for a friend's new grandbaby. [/quit Oh my . Gosh so cute!

I am finding this so awesome that there are quilters out there who happen to have chickens too! Quilting I've been doing for a while, but chickens are new to me (although I've quilted a few quilts that have chickens on them). Very nice to meet you all. I made this one a few weeks ago for a friend's new grandbaby.

Welcome to the group! It's great that you found us. Are you going the the Q.A. quilt show in Monroe? If you do you can make it a twofer and check out the poultry show at the same time. They're equally awesome! LOVE that baby quilt! Did you do the chick in minky?

welcome-byc.gif
To all the new people. I know I've missed a few in the last week.

I will never buy chicks again! ONLY will hatch them to have. They are all fully feathered now and i checked on them at 8 am they were all healthy and great their water was full their food is full. I went back and checked on them a minute ago HALF DIED. I'm sitting here going How? Why?
They were not sick or anything all were up happy as could be trying to fly and everything. Then just up and died. One of them was a turkey :(
I've never had chicks be so... Unhealthy It was all the cool breeds too. cochin, polish, hamburgs, then turkey :(

Hi, I can't help you with the vaccination question, but wanted to shout out "another Maple Valley-ite!! We are new to chickens (only have four chicks now and we're nervous about putting them outside in a few weeks). Just wanted to say hello neighbor!!
Melanie and James
Hello! Glad to know there are some neighbors on this forum :)

They were born 1/31/14. Two buff orpingtons, 1 americauna and 1 wyandott. Probably spelling all of these wrong, but we're not in it for the beauty of the bird. We've heard they're all very friendly and good egg producers. I'm a recent vegetarian (fish and eggs only) and I won't eat an egg if I haven't met the chicken that laid it. Makes them hard to come by sometimes. We bought them from Baxter Barns and they're still safe and warm in the basement. We need to clear the spot we're going to put the coop and run (the rain has not been helping) so that we can get them acclimated when they're 6 - 8 weeks or so.

Thanks for the welcome!
frow.gif

I will never buy chicks again! ONLY will hatch them to have. They are all fully feathered now and i checked on them at 8 am they were all healthy and great their water was full their food is full. I went back and checked on them a minute ago HALF DIED. I'm sitting here going How? Why?
They were not sick or anything all were up happy as could be trying to fly and everything. Then just up and died. One of them was a turkey :(
I've never had chicks be so... Unhealthy It was all the cool breeds too. cochin, polish, hamburgs, then turkey :(

That sounds really odd. How old? What type of set up (barn/brooder/house/garage etc)? What kind of food? I've never ever heard of that happening without symptoms of some kind.

Edit: Any observable (no matter how irrelevant it might seem) change in routine or their environment?

Last edited:
Welcome to the group! It's great that you found us. Are you going the the Q.A. quilt show in Monroe? If you do you can make it a twofer and check out the poultry show at the same time. They're equally awesome! LOVE that baby quilt! Did you do the chick in minky?

Hi,
We've only been in WA for 2 years, so I'm not even sure where Monroe is, but if it's close enough, we may just go. We just bought our chickens because we wanted good eggs and we've never had room for them in CA - now we do.
The chick on the quilt is actually four layers of flannel that are cut to shape and then straight diagonal lines are sewn every inch over the entire thing. Then you cut in between the sewn lines and once you wash it, it actually looks and feels like Chenille - fuzzy and cute. I've made two of them so far and they're so easy!

Maybe I'll see you in Monroe!
Mel

Quote:
Ahhh.... chenille.... I've admired it but never made it. There's a fabric store in Port Orchard where the owner does a LOT of chenille, and she's very creative. I like the jackets she does with it.

Monroe is NE of Seattle and it's the location of one of our best fairs, the Evergreen State Fair. The shows (quilt & poultry) are held at the fairgrounds. The poultry show will be March 15 from about 9ish to about 4:30ish and it's free. Hundreds of birds so it's a real hoot if you've never been before. It's a drafty barn, so dress warm. There will be folks from all over the NW. What area are you in?

Back
Top Bottom