Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey guys! So I bought a lavender orpington and a barnevelder. I thought the lavenders layed a light purplish egg and the barnevelder a darker brown egg? I also thought they were both giving me eggs until this morning I got what looks to be a first time layers egg. Small and a little bloody. But also GREEN!? So confused!! Who layed what? Lol

Hey guys! So I bought a lavender orpington and a barnevelder. I thought the lavenders layed a light purplish egg and the barnevelder a darker brown egg? I also thought they were both giving me eggs until this morning I got what looks to be a first time layers egg. Small and a little bloody. But also GREEN!? So confused!! Who layed what? Lol
You shouldn't get green eggs from an Orp or a Barnie. Orpingtons lay a beige or light brown egg, and Bernvelder a very dark egg. (I've had both). A green egg is from an EE (Cross between a Blue and brown egg layer). Are those the only two breeds you have, because if so, either one or both is not purebred, I'm afraid to say.

Last edited:
You shouldn't get green eggs from an Orp or a Barnie. Orpingtons lay a beige or light brown egg, and Bernvelder a very dark egg. (I've had both). A green egg is from an EE (Cross between a Blue and brown egg layer). Are those the only two breeds you have, because if so, either one or both is not purebred, I'm afraid to say.

The lavender I bought from the guy in kent by pacific raceways. He buys and sells the real deal. The barnie I bought from baxter barn in fall city which by the way NEVER EVER go there. So im pretty sure its the barnie because before I learned about what to look for in a breed I just believed what people told me and his chicks are from some big hatchery. Oh well ill keep her because shes the only chicken ive ever had that lets me pick her up!

Last edited:
The lavender I bought from the guy in kent by pacific raceways. He buys and sells the real deal. The barnie I bought from baxter barn in fall city which by the way NEVER EVER go there. So im pretty sure its the barnie because before I learned about what to look for in a breed I just believed what people told me and his chicks are from some big hatchery. Oh well ill keep her because shes the only chicken ive ever had that lets me pick her up! Theres a lady who sells double laced barnies amd BCMs that lives somewhere in the U.S. anyone know how to get ahold of them? Ive tried emailing on their website twice but no luck.. her birds are so beautiful! Go take a look! fossilrockfarm.com

I don't know about Marans, I have yet to see a good one, but there's some excellent Barnvelders right here in Washington. Erhard Weihs of kummerpoultry.com is the gentleman to talk to.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._bursal_disease_in_poultry.html?qt=infectious

Perhaps you can show where it says older birds may be carriers? Oh wait you can't because it doesn't exist. Don't spread misinformation. Birds over 18 weeks are not affected, period. Immune.

Also confirmation came this morning via email PNPA has cancelled their April show because of the ignorant masses panicking about this and worry about low attendance numbers. Good job "sky is falling" type people, you have once again ruined things for people that know what they're doing.

I never made a claim, I simply pointed out that I couldn't find anything to support that adults are 100% immune and can never spread the virus. Taking a look at several resources, they reported the clinical infection (symptomatic/harmful) infections occurred as late at 18 weeks old. It however does not say that older birds are not capable of contracting the virus and having subclinical infection. I would love to find more information about the virus but the journal articles do not really discuss whether or not adults are 100% immune, I couldn't find any support for that claim, they only state they are more resistant to clinical infection. I did read an article about IBDV and how clinical infections are related to the age of contracting the virus, when the bursa is in development and birds are developing their immune system it is the most deadly. If birds truly are 100% immune after 18 weeks, as you are suggesting, then as long as you take in chicks every 6 months(or longer) you should never have the virus in your field as it would have died off.

I haven't seen this type of response outside of the pure bred section in a while... this usually is a great, supportive community even when we disagree with each other.

Last edited:
Actually, this is a "strip quilt" as is it's twin "stacked bricks" BOTH are strip quilts, which are so super easy and so super fast !!! You cut strips as wide as the colored sections, and sew them long to the white sections. The sewed sections can be as wide as your fabri is...which is nice to use up fragments.... after all that, you press it opn, and then rotary cut the braids, or bricks as they call them in the stacked brick quilt. A stacked brick has a white section on each end, a french braid has just one white. THIS was one I made for my son...and it also is easy peasy !!! close up !!! The back of this huge quilt was shown here...love this "watercolor" looking fabric!!!
I like them. I'm doing now. I'm going to start the Farmer Wife soon.

I never made a claim, I simply pointed out that I couldn't find anything to support that adults are 100% immune and can never spread the virus. Taking a look at several resources, they reported the clinical infection (symptomatic/harmful) infections occurred as late at 18 weeks old. It however does not say that older birds are not capable of contracting the virus and having subclinical infection. I would love to find more information about the virus but the journal articles do not really discuss whether or not adults are 100% immune, I couldn't find any support for that claim, they only state they are more resistant to clinical infection. I did read an article about IBDV and how clinical infections are related to the age of contracting the virus, when the bursa is in development and birds are developing their immune system it is the most deadly. If birds truly are 100% immune after 18 weeks, as you are suggesting, then as long as you take in chicks every 6 months(or longer) you should never have the virus in your field as it would have died off.

I haven't seen this type of response outside of the pure bred section in a while... this usually is a great, supportive community even when we disagree with each other.

Older birds are immune because the disease affects the development of an organ (the bursa of fabricius) that is normally fully developed by 6 weeks(which is why the most common age affected is 3-6 weeks), abnormally longer (which is where the 18 week thing comes from).

Sorry you don't like educational posts. There's enough misinformation out there without adding to it, so I correct it when I see it because I love poultry, and love promoting well bred poultry. It affects the real poultry breeders when people don't bother to educate themselves, panic, and get one of the very very few poultry events in the Northwest cancelled due to panic.

your so lucky you can canlde your eggs, i tried but the green/blue shells do not let light in.
I have so many breeds....I have invested in an egg candler...which does not work near as well as my new LED mini mag light.
The mini mag works cuz it is narrow, and hold it to an egg, no light escapes.
I have many little flashlights but their lenses (crystals where the light comes out) are so big around, that the lense hits the egg & light leaks around.
The LED mini mag works AWESOME.
Took me 1500 years of poultry farming to find this perfect flashlight...LOL
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom