Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Olympia is ok about half hour or so.......
When I say Mix I am not to particular on the Breed I love them All I would love a "Mix Of color Egg"

Blue - blue/green - brown - dark brown - White

My 4 year old has "hatched" many imaginary animals so I am wanting to give him the "REAL" opportunity to hatch eggs. We have a Bator all set up, monitoring the heat and humidity so i know it will work, just need some eggies to put in it.

We are looking to start a flock as pets and eggs. My lil man Loves animals and helped me set up the coop and run for them.

Thank you for any and all help
Karen

I could help you out. I have South American breeds plus some olive eggers. Mostly blue green layers. I am in Puyallup. PM me if you are interested.

If you get a chance, put a floor in your chicken tractor, so it is predator proof, even at night.
Door locked & in the morning we move ours, but there is a floor.
So we open the door & let them out after we move it.
And we have no worries about mink or racoon going in & getting the birds at night.

As far as your injured baby, time will tell.
If she is left alone for a few weeks (like in a tub with all the amenities) she may recover nicely.
I had one suddenly show up with a dislocated hip.
Her leg was sideways !
And loose !

So I left her be in the brooder for 3 weeks after the rest of her hatch moved on, and she healed !
I was surprised.
I was going to cull her 100 times, but didn't, cuz I did not need the brooder for any other hatch so I figured 'why not leave her be'
You just never can tell.
I would not wrap her, though.
Just my opinion which is hard to say, given that I have not seen your injured bird.
Good luck though !

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely add a floor even though they only use the tractor in the daytime. It probably would have prevented this particular accident. My little bird is recovering well, though. No wrap, just confined. She has room to hobble around a little, and she does seem to walk more each day. I'm hoping she just had a bad sprain. Possibly a broken toe but it doesn't stop her getting about and isn't deformed. Just really bruised and still slightly swollen.

On the prowl for Polish chickens in Western WA. Considering any of chicks, pullets, hens, and a rooster. Black white crested, golden laced, silver laced, blue laced, and maybe others. I have a few polish hens and want to expand my flock. In the Snoqualmie Valley.

I shared this on another thread, but thought I'd share here too.

I don't know why the photo is fuzzy, but if you use a little imagination, you will see an old styrofoam cooler covered in hardware cloth. I put strips of wool hanging down from the top. The two week old chicks slept in it last night, and today they're voluntarily going in there to warm up when they get cold. Two week chicks are doing FINE outside by themselves with no mother hen and no supplemental heat.
You do realize that they WILL discover it is Styrofoam, and they WILL eat it, don't you ?

OMG chicken LOVE styrofoam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely add a floor even though they only use the tractor in the daytime. It probably would have prevented this particular accident. My little bird is recovering well, though. No wrap, just confined. She has room to hobble around a little, and she does seem to walk more each day. I'm hoping she just had a bad sprain. Possibly a broken toe but it doesn't stop her getting about and isn't deformed. Just really bruised and still slightly swollen.

Note: the hitch on the front, Einstein made from bits from a bed frame rail.

So you can see, it is fully enclosed, and chickens/ducks are protected.
The front is able to hitch right to the lawn tractor OR, a furniture dolly !
ALL birds are IN when it is moved.
Inside, added to plug in the heater which is connectd to a wafer Therm, which is the best help with heat issues.
In your case, your birds did not need heat ?

Hope this helps you !
Just trying to help here~

Can anyone tell me what is eating my seedling squash leaves and how to stop it? CL this is a sweet meat.
Thanks!

That looks like a earwhig issue !

I woukd get a Sevin Spray, and dose it down.
Earwhigs here can eat ya out of house & home.
It's either earwhigs or Tater bugs, what Einstein calls, rolly pollies............................they have eaten my BEANS down to the nub repeatly as I planted !
5 times last spring !
WE are infested with tater rolly pollies !

***** I am saying this as I as assuming you are not letting BIRDS TASTE TEST your garden ????????????????????************

Last edited:
I am seriously looking at a 1000, HD................................XL........................................YUMMMMMMMM!

Of course i has been alot of years....but just spent all day with my BBBro and his friend & their HD's, Baby Bro just bought a limited edition HD big, dresser,,,,, I cannot even describe it.
I am a drag person, no bars, no nothing on the scooter, but baby Bro has 1 dresser after another....................ok for him.

You do realize that they WILL discover it is Styrofoam, and they WILL eat it, don't you ?

OMG chicken LOVE styrofoam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's only for chicks. And so far so good. I inspect it every day.
It's covered in hardware cloth, which should deter older chickens? And as of two days ago it's in an old rabbit hutch we've turned into a coop for the chicks.They spend almost none of their time in there unless they're sleeping, since they're just too busy running around in their little nursery pen eating fermented feed and bugs. Also they chest bump each other a lot.

Hello everyone. I have a question about feed in WA; Specifically the Kitsap County area.

We originally bought our chicks from Baxter Barn in Fall City at the beginning of April and bought enough starter and grower feeds to get us to the laying stage. Well, we're almost there!

Problem is, Fall City (or Seattle as Baxter Barn supplied Portage Bay Grange) is a very long way to go for a bag of feed. It's about 2.5 hours each way, so if you factor in Gas, and lunch for 4 people the feed gets very expensive. If I could buy in bulk it would help of course, but as we only have 6 chickens that free-range 7 days a week from sunup to sundown it would takes them a very long time to even go through 1 40lb bag.

I'm looking for "the best" alternative that I can get in the Kitsap County area. Close by we have a Del's and a Wilco. Do any of you have experience with the brands of feed they sell there, and which one would be the most healthy for my girls?

Del's has their own brand and of course the guy at the counter said it was "MUCH BETTER" than the big name stuff, but could offer no details as to /why/...

Hi Guys,

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help that you gave me. I know have so wonderful babies in my bator, My 4 yr old is completely over the moon with excitement. I also have other contacts for a second batch if i can.

bow.gif
to all those who helped thank you

Back
Top Bottom