Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We had hatched a couple chicks with broody hens - when I went in to check on chicks yesterday I noticed the famous red comb appearing on 1 chick "sniffle" - In all honesty it's hard to decide what to do at this point - our boy already had produced 3 Roos to 1 hen in a batch and we still have to get rid of them - now another one- I'm starting to believe it may be easier to cull them as chicks rather than allow them to mature and then have to figure out where to place them then find a home - I personally can't cull a chick as I tried once and I couldn't see through the tears- most say "it's just a chicken, and it's what comes with farm life". But as much as I've told myself that it doesn't matter it's still a life and a baby at that- my fiancée has no problem doing the deed - but I was wondering if I was the only one who just doesn't have the heart to do the deed even tho it needs to be done

I don't know how to ask this without seeming rude but do you eat your chickens? If so then I'd grow them out and send them to freezer camp and or sell them to someone who does.

The second thought was maybe that particular roo throws boys rather than girls? I know nothing about genetics of chickens but maybe if you could separate him so he is not fertilizing the eggs and try another roo and see if you get the same results.

and no I could not cull a chick even though I have ferrets who would eat them I just couldn't do it.

Last edited:
I don't know how to ask this without seeming rude but do you eat your chickens? If so then I'd grow them out and send them to freezer camp and or sell them to someone who does.

The second thought was maybe that particular roo throws boys rather than girls? I know nothing about genetics of chickens but maybe if you could separate him so he is not fertilizing the eggs and try another roo and see if you get the same results.

and no I could not cull a chick even though I have ferrets who would eat them I just couldn't do it.

We haven't eatin our chickens- the ones in question are small bantams not much to eat- we were thinking maybe his seed is strong lol- my mother seems to think not a roo- but we've hatched and I've had to deal with enough chicks that the first start of red/pink has always come out roo compared to the others with the birds we have being they are almost 3 weeks old has made it a good shot of being a roo - but anyway I'll give him the couple days to make sure vs the other 2 and then make decision

Our hens are very young, between 4 1/2 - 5 months old (got them April 4, 2014). They started to lay about three weeks ago.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h...5-f264-48dd-8944-6ac128e2f898_zpsdb365feb.jpg (can't get pictures to load but they will take you to the picture if you click on it)

The size has not changed. How long before the eggs are more "normal" size? My daughter wants to hatch them (they are fertilized) but my thought is the chick would stop developing due to lack of space long before the hatch date.

Our hens are very young, between 4 1/2 - 5 months old (got them April 4, 2014). They started to lay about three weeks ago.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h...5-f264-48dd-8944-6ac128e2f898_zpsdb365feb.jpg (can't get pictures to load but they will take you to the picture if you click on it)

The size has not changed. How long before the eggs are more "normal" size? My daughter wants to hatch them (they are fertilized) but my thought is the chick would stop developing due to lack of space long before the hatch date.

It does take a while before eggs are actual size- some of ours started at the end of July and they still are laying small eggs- once in while someone will lay the proper size then go back to laying small- it also depends on breed I think- hard to say on exact time tho each is different 2 months or more should produce regular size eggs if I remember how ours went

Of course diet- but if your feeding them what they need or free range then they'll get there if they are bantam birds the eggs will remain small

Last edited:
It does take a while before eggs are actual size- some of ours started at the end of July and they still are laying small eggs- once in while someone will lay the proper size then go back to laying small- it also depends on breed I think- hard to say on exact time tho each is different 2 months or more should produce regular size eggs if I remember how ours went

Of course diet- but if your feeding them what they need or free range then they'll get there if they are bantam birds the eggs will remain small

We have four Australorps and two production reds. The Australorps are the ones that are currently laying and we think are closer to five months. We feed them a local chicken layer mix, oyster shells out for when they want them, free range over 1/2 an acre and cracked corn for treats that are thrown over a pretty large area that they have to scratch and hunt around for. They also get any left over dinner scraps and treats like watermelon, strawberries and mixed greens on occasion. We have one bantam hen but she is not laying yet.

I also wonder if the stress of the roos (before we sent them to freezer camp) harassing them has anything to do with egg size as well.

Last edited:
We have four Australorps and two production reds. The Australorps are the ones that are currently laying and we think are closer to five months. We feed them a local chicken layer mix, oyster shells out for when they want them, free range over 1/2 an acre and cracked corn for treats that are thrown over a pretty large area that they have to scratch and hunt around for. They also get any left over dinner scraps and treats like watermelon, strawberries and mixed greens on occasion. We have one bantam hen but she is not laying yet.

I also wonder if the stress of the roos (before we sent them to freezer camp had anything to do with it) harassing them has anything to do with egg size as well.

I'd give them time - if they just started laying they are still growing in the egg laying department- I wouldn't advise trying to hatch any yet for sure tho -

What type of chicks do you have?? I'm anxiously awaiting first egg!! I got mine about the same time :)

Out of seven pullets that are 21 weeks, two are laying. The RIR has been laying or a month, and the Plymouth Rock for 2 weeks. The eggs are generally still tiny. The RIR has laid a couple of regular sized eggs, but today was small. The Rock laid a big egg today, but it was a double yolker. The pullet that is 6 months old is showing no signs of wanting to lay. LOL

I don't think I could ever cull a healthy bird myself. If it was sick and suffering I could do it. DH has no problem at all culling one, but fortunately we have not had to do it yet. Currently I have about 3 baby cockerels that are going to have to go. I have no desire to eat my own chickens, so I'll probably take them to a place that will humanely cull them and feed them to birds of pray.

Last edited:
What type of chicks do you have?? I'm anxiously awaiting first egg!! I got mine about the same time
smile.png

From the local feed store we have 1 Australorp (might be laying), 1 Bantam Wyandotte (not laying yet), and 2 Production Reds (not laying yet but are showing signs they might start soon). We got these ones on April 4 and I would guess most were under a week old.

From a co-workers backyard mutts we have 3 that look like Australorp (at least one of these is laying) and 1 Barred Rock (not laying). We got these ones on April 5 ranging in age from day old chicks up to about 2 weeks old. Most of the 2 week olds turned out to be roos!

so most of these are between 20 and 22 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom