Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Calling Everyone In or Near Kitsap

Let's Have a BYC Meet Up!

@Emsanon
@Theegoliath
@KellyLyn I think I forgot to say Hello. Welcome!
@LBurt6
@DiamondDust
@sweetmsmisty98
@cheryl98117
@LaughingFeather
@daze333
@Lutefisk
@renart

If I didn't call your name --- Please speak up! It's way to hard to keep track of people on this thread.

I'll get the ball rolling by volunteering my place for an afternoon get together. Something simple. Let's get acquainted!
I'm near the Kitsap Fairgrounds, but I'm open to other places too.

Who's Interested?

Last edited:
You're evil Kim!
lau.gif

Do I need to post more pictures of the tribbles?

Hi, There are a few of us in Kitsap, and it seems like the group is growing. Welcome to the group!

I hope you're outside the city limits so you aren't bothered by the limit and the licensing issues. Such a pain!
There are many places to get the breed you're looking for but if you ever want to show.... please be very careful that your source breeds to the SOP. If you attend the shows this fall you'll have a much better chance to check out the competition and find good local sources.

Oh.... by the way.... Let me introduce you to ChickieLady!!!!! A very experienced breeder, shower, and keeper of beautiful birds!!! But kind of SASSY some days! Play Nice ChickieLady or you'll scare off all the new addicts... oops I mean peeps!
lau.gif

HAHA! Thank you for the introduction to ChickenLady.
big_smile.png
I'll have to look at the SOP for breeding. That's the first time I heard of that. It makes sense though! There was one company that says it's recognized by the APA, American Standard of Perfection. And then I've seen something about...NNIP? Or something like that. I'm planning on going to the Port Orchard Poultrypalooza on the 13th. Sounds interesting.
wink.png
And luckily!!! I'm actually unincorporated! So, in Bremerton but technically, Kitsap County so I don't have to worry about the restrictions.

Last edited:
Calling Everyone In or Near Kitsap

Let's Have a BYC Meet Up!

@Emsanon
@Theegoliath
@KellyLyn I think I forgot to say Hello. Welcome!
@LBurt6
@DiamondDust
@sweetmsmisty98
@cheryl98117
@LaughingFeather
@daze333
@Lutefisk
@renart

If I didn't call your name --- Please speak up! It's way to hard to keep track of people on this thread.

I'll get the ball rolling by volunteering my place for an afternoon get together. Something simple. Let's get acquainted!
I'm near the Kitsap Fairgrounds, but I'm open to other places too.

Who's Interested?

I would be interested.
frow.gif

Boring Boring Boring compared to Bielefelders !

Google it.

They definitely are pretty. How are their temperaments? I wanted Orps because they are supposed to be one of the better choices for the 'pet' flock and can't seem to fly as well as others so seem to be the best choice for where I live. When you have neighbors next to you and don't want to have to chase your chickens around after they fly over the fence.
lol.png

They definitely are pretty. How are their temperaments? I wanted Orps because they are supposed to be one of the better choices for the 'pet' flock and can't seem to fly as well as others so seem to be the best choice for where I live. When you have neighbors next to you and don't want to have to chase your chickens around after they fly over the fence.
lol.png
I am amazed at their temperments, for example:
At 1 mo old, I had a brooder with 10 Silver Cuckoo Marans pullets, and 5 Bielefelders pullets, and 2 Bielefelder cockerels.
There was squawking on & off and so I spied:
The Bielefelder cockerels were pecking at, running off, the cuckoo pullets.
It made no matter that they were female at this age, the cockerels were immature (its)
The immature cockerels did not recognize pooty when they saw it, HA HA
What they saw was, a different colored bird.

After a few weeks they decided more pooty (what ever flavour!) was just FINE !
lau.gif

Despite all this, I can (still to this day) stoop and pick up any one of them, hens or cocks.
They are extremely protective of their flocks, and very nice to us humans.
The eggs they lay are gorgeous, and the feed they consume is SMALL.
They do not even eat as much as a marans.
Let's not mention the EYE CANDY part of this breed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are true Crele, and almost make Buster look ugly.
Who is Buster you say ?
Buster is the Super Crele cock in my avatar.

I use the styrofoam Little Giant incubators successfully but my hatch rates go down when the temperature outside gets too warm because we do not have AC and our house gets hot. I hatch all winter without any problem and most of the year but the heat spells we have had this summer have caused me to have quitters. I use forced air for chicken eggs and still air for duck eggs. Then I use a still air incubator as a hatcher and another still air as an early brooder. I also have one Farm Innovators forced air incubator but I have not tried it out yet.

Yesterday I set Silkie eggs that have been sitting at warm room temperatures so they may not all hatch but it does not hurt to try when they are my own eggs. Tomorrow I will set Orpington eggs that may have also warmed up too much at high room temperatures. I have had alot of success with purchased eggs but I have also had a large number of clear eggs side by side with my own eggs that hatched just fine so I can't blame the incubator.
Hope you do not have an explosion, it ain't fun at all !
sickbyc.gif

I am amazed at their temperments, for example:
At 1 mo old, I had a brooder with 10 Silver Cuckoo Marans pullets, and 5 Bielefelders pullets, and 2 Bielefelder cockerels.
There was squawking on & off and so I spied:
The Bielefelder cockerels were pecking at, running off, the cuckoo pullets.
It made no matter that they were female at this age, the cockerels were immature (its)
The immature cockerels did not recognize pooty when they saw it, HA HA
What they saw was, a different colored bird.

After a few weeks they decided more pooty (what ever flavour!) was just FINE !
lau.gif

Despite all this, I can (still to this day) stoop and pick up any one of them, hens or cocks.
They are extremely protective of their flocks, and very nice to us humans.
The eggs they lay are gorgeous, and the feed they consume is SMALL.
They do not even eat as much as a marans.
Let's not mention the EYE CANDY part of this breed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are true Crele, and almost make Buster look ugly.
Who is Buster you say ?
Buster is the Super Crele cock in my avatar.
Wow!
big_smile.png
Hard to imagine since Buster looks gorgeous!
love.gif

Hi, There are a few of us in Kitsap, and it seems like the group is growing. Welcome to the group!

I hope you're outside the city limits so you aren't bothered by the limit and the licensing issues. Such a pain!
There are many places to get the breed you're looking for but if you ever want to show.... please be very careful that your source breeds to the SOP. If you attend the shows this fall you'll have a much better chance to check out the competition and find good local sources.

Oh.... by the way.... Let me introduce you to ChickieLady!!!!! A very experienced breeder, shower, and keeper of beautiful birds!!! But kind of SASSY some days! Play Nice ChickieLady or you'll scare off all the new addicts... oops I mean peeps!
lau.gif
Excuse me ? I ain't sassing anyone.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom