Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I was getting really tired of carrying warm water in bucket outside for the horses and chickens. Finally got the hoses hooked back up last night and could fill the buckets the "normal" way. Haha.

hi I have a question for EVERYONE :) I am wondering I have heard that trader joes sells fertile eggs (well they just selling eggs but they are fertile?) I was wondering if anyone who lives here in wa and shops at trader joes can confirm that one way or the other?

For your coop/house the rule of thumb is 3 sq ft per bird. It should be kept dry, without big drafts, and with lots of ventilation preferably at the roof line. Their outdoor area should be a minimum 10 sq. ft. per bird. If they don't have enough space they can start pecking at each other and start bullying. Having a place they can get out of the rain is an excellent idea. Also to keep their feed dry. Birds that are kept in muddy areas all the time are more prone to issues. If they don't have some place to get out of the constant rain they will tend to go inside the coop, not really what you want.

Something similar to T-111 that's already primed is relatively inexpensive and easy to use for siding a coop. Planning the dimensions to use the 4 x 8 sheets to their full advantage is beneficial, too.
Thank you!

thats why I have a tarp on it to cutt back on the winter wind n rain..I will put the roof on the run in the spring just so they have a sheltered area outside out of the rain, behind that is free range area along two sides of my backyard thats sloped..also under the henhouse I have three walls boarded off with cedar planks to give them a more wind protected area....I am no chicken expert by any stretch of the imagination :) I have very very sandy soil so the rain doesnt puddle up horribly however one of the things I disliked about the chickens my grandmother kept is the run got sooooo incredibly muddy it was ridiculous . The structure is just on the begining of the slope leveled it out and set it up the gate is for my access to the free range area so can open the free range door to let them out. this picture is a better shot of the tarp the first one I showed it was just laying on there.. it's not secured and in place.. I put the longer end on the side the wind hits more and the other side is partly sheltered by my house and the overhang of the tarp, this set up works for me as I have some mobility issues so I can just put the wheel barrow to the cleanout doors rake the soiled bedding into it and done without having to bend over break back or anything. I have a clean out door on both sides so if I want to take a hose and spray out the henhouse I can do so easily.. the floor of the coop is covered in flooring so it's water resistant and a easy cleanup.. (I got a remnant from my local flooring company for like 5 bucks). My roof vents north n south which is mostly the direction we get the wind at there and I have two west and east vent windows that can be open or closed ..This area also gets some fairly decent winter sun and during the summer gets sun but partially shaded as well. .. with how I leveled eventually I will beable to set up a rain barrel system using the roof and run off for my garden.
Thank you!

hi I have a question for EVERYONE :) I am wondering I have heard that trader joes sells fertile eggs (well they just selling eggs but they are fertile?) I was wondering if anyone who lives here in wa and shops at trader joes can confirm that one way or the other?
You have to contact the Trader Joes near your house. Some of them have fertile eggs and some of them don't. Whole Foods also sometimes carries fertile eggs.

They sometimes sell fertile eggs. They are marked fertile. I've seen them at Marlene's Market from time to time as well.

I've checked Central Market and Trader Joe's in Kitsap County, but they didn't carry them. Too small of a market over here I would think.

Either that or maybe we're just smart enough to not buy the hype that fertilized eggs are magically more healthy. =)

I have a small quantity of fertile eggs for sale if anyone wants some. They will all be easter eggers - moms are different LF breeds and dad is a pure crested cream legbar. Location is SE King County.

I am in Vancouver, WA and am ALSO looking for fertile hatching eggs from the grocery store...more as a fun experiment. I'm really curious as to whether or not I could hatch them. I have checked the following stores:

Trader Joe's Vancouver, WA: Did not carry them
Whole Foods Vancouver, WA: Did not carry them.
New Seasons Hillsboro, OR: Did not carry them.
Natural Grocer's Vancouver, WA: Did not carry them.
Multiple Fred Meyer, Safeway, and WalMart locations in Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR: Did not carry them.

So if you are in the Vancouver WA/Portland OR area and happen to find some, please let me know! I would love to try to hatch a couple dozen!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom