Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

:celebrate first eggs are always so exciting! Heck, every egg after is still exciting to me! lolc
Congrats!!!

Thanks, It sure is! It's funny, too, she's never given a fig for mealworms before and now she's positively ravenous for them. She nearly took my thumb off when I held some out! She must need more protein than what she's getting.

Now I just need my EE to start up. I have a bantam frizzle I was gifted who's just two years old and has just finished recoverin. from molt. I'm hoping she'll lay occasionally, though she hasn't since I got her.

Thanks, It sure is! It's funny, too, she's never given a fig for mealworms before and now she's positively ravenous for them. She nearly took my thumb off when I held some out! She must need more protein than what she's getting.

Now I just need my EE to start up. I have a bantam frizzle I was gifted who's just two years old and has just finished recoverin. from molt. I'm hoping she'll lay occasionally, though she hasn't since I got her.
ya.gif

I charge $4/dozen (for eating eggs- not hatching eggs!) and always sell out. Unfortunately, as you said, feed prices have increased though which is a bummer. I tried fermenting but they ate that faster than regular crumbles. :( I want to find a way to ferment without having to spend a ton of $$ on ingredients.

Anyone have any special solutions to fermenting feed that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or is that a unrealistic wish, lol?

How much are you paying for your seed? I use barley seed that's just under $15 for 50 pound bag. I sprout them in dollar store plastic bins that I add drainage too. I don't have a ton of chickens though, so that might be why it last so long. As for feed, I use scratch and peck, and it last a long time too. I let m ine out to free range whenever I can. It's working so far.
big_smile.png

This is my first winter with chickens in Seattle and I'm wondering if frostbite can be a problem here in Western Washington? My coop is roomy and not insulated. I've read that ventilation is the critical factor, but as we know, the ambient humidity here can be very high, so no amount of ventilation will dry the air. Have any of you more-experienced folks had problems with frostbite? What do you do to prevent it when the temperature dips into the twenties or below?

No frost bite for my girls yet, although I did purchase some Vaseline in case in got really cold again. I have a nice roomy coop too that it not insulated, and has six windows for ventilation. When humidity is high outside, its high inside, but from what I can tell the shaving are still nice a dry.

Made the girls some warm oatmeal with calendula petals sprinkled on top. I think they appreciated the toasty treat on this nippy morn!
They are tough little birds and were trying to bum rush the door this morning to go free range, despite the low temps.

lockdown on the eggs today!!! I've tried oatmeal mine had noo interest at all, uncooked they like cooked they dont touch it..........hoping the girls can free range today havent seen the eagles circling overhead today so they might get a lil free range time today :) definitely feel the nip in the air today but it's nice n sunny

Back
Top Bottom