Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'm in Grays Harbor county and just got my first few eggs but I will admit envying some of you who get golden brown, green and blue eggs. I would love to acquire some pullets that will lay colored eggs, preferably at the stage beyond heat lamps. Contact me if you have any for sale or know someone who does.

Some help please I have a hen that's kind of groaning when she breaths doesn't appear to be eatting but usefully of energy
Can you be more specific on the signs you are seeing? Is the groaning coming from her airway, or do you think she is egg bound? How old is she?

Off the top of my head, I would suspect two things. The first is Chronic respiratory disease. You will see/hear sneezing, bubbles around the eyes, gurgling sounds when she breathes, coughing or perhaps some other signs. You would need to separate her from the others, keep her warm, and start her on antibiotics right away.

The other thing could be that she is egg bound. Does she seem unable to lay an egg? Is she straining like she wants to lay? The treatment that has worked for me is to give the hen a 500 mg calcium tablet. She should pass the egg within a few hours. They can still get an infection after being egg bound, so she still may need antibiotics.

Do either of these things sound like what your hen is doing? Keep us posted.

Some help please I have a hen that's kind of groaning when she breaths doesn't appear to be eatting but usefully of energy

First, separate her from the rest of your flock until you know what it is. If it's a respiratory problem it could be very contagious. If you have someplace in the house or garage where you can keep her warm and observe her behavior that would be great. Check for discharge from her nose and eyes. Is she taking in liquids at all? If you have probiotics or honey that might give her a boost and give you a bit more time to figure it out.

Also post on one of the other threads aimed at chicken health where you might find a larger number of experience people to help, if you haven't already.

ETA:
PLEASE DO NOT START ANTIBIOTICS UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TREATING!

Last edited:
OK five months old should be laying soon I
haven't seen her straining for an egg, no
runny nose or watery eye or smelly
chicken. But she is seperated. Thx

It was something in the crop some sweet person on one of many web sites consulted suggested a little water n olive oil n massage the crop, that got her feeling good enough to chase the cat across the yard. Thanks for all you support.

Been away for a few days.. Took the kids on a mini-vacation to Great Wolf lodge.

Anyway.. Chickens. Came home to a few eggs waiting for us, including this fun one:

Would be funny if it was the Speckled Sussex that laid this, but I suspect it was a Faverolles.
I showed it to them and asked whoever did it to keep doing it.. But they were being huffy with me for not getting any treats for days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom