Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I can't keep my silkies with my large fowl. The silkies beat up the big birds. The evil things work together and move as a group. The silkie roosters beat up my ameraucana roosters. I don't know what it is with these partridge silkies. The blue/splash ones I had before got along very well with the big birds.

With 29,357 posts of which I've only seen 50 of them...I'll just skip the rest and say "hi" to everyone. I just moved to Rainier just southwest of Ft. Lewis/McChord. I'm looking forward to getting my first little peeps in a couple of weeks. It looks to be a big adventure ahead for us.

With 29,357 posts of which I've only seen 50 of them...I'll just skip the rest and say "hi" to everyone. I just moved to Rainier just southwest of Ft. Lewis/McChord. I'm looking forward to getting my first little peeps in a couple of weeks. It looks to be a big adventure ahead for us.
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to our Peeping family!!!
ya.gif

Welcome!

Hi everybody! :)

I'm in the process of choosing some nice Bielefelder chicks in my area, and I thought: this is the place to ask!
If anyone knows somebody - or has some hatching out this April themselves - please PM me. Thanks!
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
:frow

Welcome. Just joined myself and first time with acreage and chicks. It awesome! I quickly became obsessed.

Ha! my husband just bought a brush hog and loves it! It chops things up nicely...especially 5 acres of blackberries. We thought about goats (which I love) but they would need so much attention like my dogs AND we have rhododendrons (over 40) on our property and only a couple leaves are toxic. There are a couple places in Washington that adopts out hand raised super friendly rescued goats: http://newmoonfarm.org/farm/ These places also seem to know of the humane people that rent out goats.
welcome-byc.gif
Corydg! We are loving having the outdoor space! When the home inspector first inspected our home he said it would be a labor of love if we got the place. He's right, from the house with all it's problems, to the land, it's a labor of love. It's great for us and the kids though.

I can't keep my silkies with my large fowl. The silkies beat up the big birds. The evil things work together and move as a group. The silkie roosters beat up my ameraucana roosters. I don't know what it is with these partridge silkies. The blue/splash ones I had before got along very well with the big birds.
Lol Hinotori... sort of like Napoleon syndrome? I'm definitely getting some Ameraucana's, so they better not beat up on them!
fl.gif
I think I will tell my son (almost 9) that he needs to do some research on whatever he wants to have and then "sell" me on the breed and why he wants to have it. Just another strategy to keep him off the video games...

welcome-byc.gif
QuiltinGramma! I'm new here too and have to resist the urge to read entire threads (not entirely successful on this). The people here have been kind enough to let me jump in as well. Have fun!

Juleschicks, you have a beautiful place. I'm very jealous :).

I know a lot of people say not to keep silkies with standard size birds but I've don't it multiple times and they have always done fine. It its best to raise them together as chicks with so they establish a pecking order before the size difference is too noticeable though.

Natalierose, I breed them and am located in Tacoma. I'm booked up through mid March but am accepting orders till fall.
Thank you PP! You can come visit any time you like
smile.png
- though I may put you to work
wink.png
If not killing blackberry bushes, maybe with some advice... If DS sells me on the silkies I may contact you, and yes, good idea to get about the same age. I want several different breeds and I have located a 2 local breeders so far, but I'm not sure how this is all going to work out with combining or separating the chicks (for health safety and space reasons). There are so many breeds I want to try it is hard narrowing it down to just a few. I may have to stagger the breeds of chicks (by source) a little, like 2 weeks. I wonder if that is enough time to make sure the new additions are healthy, but not too big a size difference that they really get picked on by the older ones once they join the main coop. I may also start with a second hand coop with some POL pullets to have eggs much sooner and then move them into main coop once it's built. Then, new additions could go into smaller coop until large enough. Like I said, still need to sort through how to manage this whole process. It's a new adventure that's for sure!

My smallest Faverolles is threatening to go broody on me.. I thought maybe she was just taking her time laying an egg, but just for giggles I pulled the 2 fakes and 2 real eggs out from under her and set them on the opposite side of the nest... She then went to work gently pulling them back to the center so she could cover them.

Just in time for my birthday!!!

If this sticks, I'll be looking for good quality Australorp and/or Leghorn eggs. Happy to travel locally to pick-up.. Also happy to buy via mail if you all have a good source that can ship quick. (I want to bulk up egg production before I get back into 'fancy' )

fl.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom